vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

passat: light went..mechanic says that may be calipers..electronic

passat 2006, parking brake light went on after engaging parking brake after two years, the small light on panel, yellow circle with slash through it stayed on after disengaging parking brake driving fine then six months later the red brake light blinks off and on and parking brake button flashes and constant dinging, mechanic says that may be calipers but wont know for sure until torn apart and paying over 400.00 to get part which may not be the cause,...I can still push parking brake and it works...what is up...couldn't it possibly be just an electronic problem with the light do you know something is actually wrong with parking brake itself before spending money on a possibility of a problem
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

I do not recommend your mechanic at all because he does not know what he is talking about . The first thing you will need to do is check the faults in the parking brake control module , this will tell exactly what the issue is . We have not had any issues with the electronic parking brake at all mechanically wise , but we have had issues with the control module and the parking brake switch it self. Checking the faults in the control module will be the best and only way to know what is going on you will need a vw specific scan tool to do this . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!