vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

VW Jetta i need to see pictures of the code symbols on the

Customer Question

i need to see pictures of the code symbols on the dash of a 2001 Jetta. A light came on that I do not recognize and I don't have the manual
Category: VW
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

Here are some of the lights, if you do not see the correct one, perhaps you can describe it

graphic

Your Deposit is not Payment.
Payment is deducted from your Deposit when you click ACCEPT

You need to click ACCEPT so I may be compensated a small portion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks more like this: [0]

That sounds like the EPC, but will relist to see if someone has a better description

please do not respond to this, as that will Lock the question

Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Jason here to help. Is the indicator yellow in color and (0) as the symbol? If so it is likely the brake pad warning light. How many miles are on the Jetta? Jason
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is red and looks like a circle inside of a box
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
That is a brake pad warning, I am trying to find a picture for you as we speak. The brake pads have a sensor built into them to warn you if the pad thickness is getting marginal. I would recommend having the brakes inspected to confirm this.
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Here is a link : http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/brakesensor5.JPG

It is a Audilink, but they use the same pictographs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think we are talking about the same symbol because the car would not start this morning.
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Was the warning in the center display, at the middle top area?
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Would the car turn over and not start, or just light up the dash lights and no more?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Yes to the warning location in the dash, or yes to the car would turn over but not run?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it would not turn over
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
The likely issue is the battery has drawn down to a low level. This can make the instruments do funny things. I would recommend either charging the battery using a good charger, or CAREFULLY try to jump start it using another vehicle and jumper cables. Jumping a battery sometimes can cause more problems due to the possibility of overloading and blowing fuses, etc... If it now starts, the charging system needs to be looked at. The batteries in these cars only last a average of 4 years. If it has been that long, that may be the problem. The light you described is the brake pad warning indicator, as for why it lit up, if the light remains after the car runs, the brakes need a look into. Jason
Experience: 25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2571470&page=2

That link will show the symbol, in yellow. If this is the symbol, it is the brake pad warning. This link is from a Audi forum, but they are the same. I just wanted to use it as reference. I saw that you requested me in another question along this same question line, so I will reply here. You do not have to accept again. Jason