Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T: How do you rplace ignition lock cylinder

Customer Question

How do you rplace ignition lock cylinder in 1998 Jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you..please print

thanks

Volkswagen Golf/Jetta/Cabriole 1990-1999

Ignition Lock Cylinder

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1990-94 Cabriolet,1990-93 Fox, 1990-92 Golf and Jetta

FIG : Lock cylinder drill point. image

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the steering wheel, then remove the steering column covers.
  3. Remove the turn signal and wiper switches.
  4. Disconnect the ignition switch wiring.
  5. On some models, the hole in the lock body for removing the ignition lock cylinder was not drilled by Volkswagen. To make the hole, use the following measurements in conjunction with the illustrations. Drill the hole where "a" and "b" intersect on the lock body. The hole should be drilled 0.19 inch (3mm) deep
  6. Remove the lock cylinder by pushing a small drill bit or piece of wire into the hole and pulling the cylinder out. It might be easier to insert the ignition key, turn it to the right a little and pull on it.

To install:

1. Insert the lock cylinder into the housing with the key in the cylinder.
  2. While gently turning the key side-to-side, press the cylinder in to the stop. It should click into place.
  3. Temporarily fit the steering wheel onto the splines, then make sure the column locks and unlocks smoothly.
  4. Install the switches, column covers, wiring and the steering wheel.
  5. Connect the battery cable.

1995-99 Cabrio, 1993-99 Golf and Jetta

2. Center the steering wheel.
  3. Remove the air bag.
  4. Remove the steering column switches.
  5. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, detach the shift lock cable from the lock cylinder housing.
  6. Remove the adapter sleeve from the steering column.
  7. Remove the spring and horn contact ring from the steering column assembly.
  8. Detach the sheer bolt.
  9. Insert the ignition key and unlock the cylinder, then detach the wiring connectors.
  10. Once all wiring has been detached, slide the housing off the steering column.
  11. Mark and drill the lock cylinder as shown and described in the above procedure.
  12. Compress the stop spring and pull the lock cylinder out of the steering column housing.
  13. Put the new lock cylinder into the steering lock housing.
  14. Insert the key into the lock cylinder.
  15. While you gently turn the key, insert the lock cylinder fully into the housing.
  16. The rest of the installation procedure is the reverse of removal.

NOTE Always use a new shear pin when installing the lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have key That is why I am replacing

ok

you will need to drill through the lock..[where the key gos in]drill back far enough to where the lock pin that holds the lock in,will push in and let the cylinder pull out.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry for not getting back to you. Drilling cylinder did not work. Drill bit actually broke off in cylinder making it more of a headache and further drilling useless. I actually looked at the new cylinder and positioned the same as the one still in car and cut out a piece of the cylinder housing to expose the slot spring holding it in. This was far easier than what was being suggested by you and others. You might pass this technique on to others.
ok