chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader

Volkswagen Passat low oil pressure light on... 2002 Passat

low oil pressure light on... 2002 Passat 105k.... any fix to what seems to be guessed by our mechanic as possible oil suction line clog? He needs to raise engine to access pan...$ 800 to 900.00 for this task as it is a big job and he advises that there is no guarantee that this will be the problem... any thoughts or experience on this issue?

This is a very common problem for the passats. Unfortunately this is the best way to fix it. I would give it a 95 percent success rate. I have fixed a lot of these by replacing the oil pick-up tube and have not had any problems. You just want to make sure that the top end of the engine did not get starved for oil and damage the cam adjuster or cam bearings.