vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

2010 VW Jetta: TDI...the car had been parked..wouldnt start..plenty

I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. Approximately 3 weeks ago after the car had been parked for about 3 hours I got in and tried to start it but it wouldn't start. It had plenty of charge. The engine just kept cranking but never catching. I tried several times to start it without success. On the dashboard data screen it said "ESP error". I know that ESP is the traction system and when I looked for an explanation for this error message in the manual I couldn't find anything. I researched it online and all the references to this message had to do with failure with the traction control system while the car was in motion. I had the car towed to my VW dealership and they told me they had never seen anything like this before. Once they cleared the codes they car started right up and they were unable to cause the problem to re-occur. They even opened a ticket with some service center in Michigan. They were told by those folks to replace the computer module, which they did. I was without the car for 8 days. Last week the exact same thing happened It's back at the dealership and nobody knows what's wrong. Apparently some kind of "regional tech" is coming in to look at it. Have any of you run into this before?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Do you know wich where the error codes??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I don't. I am assuming that they didn't immediately suggest a remedy to the tech either since he just cleared them out to see what would happen
When this happens it only cranks correct??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. It rapidly turns over and over without any sound like it's catching at all. At first I thought it might be some kind of fuel delivery problem but discarded that theory when they said it started right up when they cleared the codes and it has performed without any problem at all for the last 3 weeks.
Ok we have had issues where the ground and power wires for the ecm get corroded under the wiper cowl and will cause a issue with the vehicle not starting and then you will have no communication faults with the ecm i would recommend to have them take a look at this they will need to remove the wiper cowl and physically look at the wires under the wire loom . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!