Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Volkswagen passat I have a 2002 VW V6 Passat. I have no heat.

I have a 2002 VW V6 Passat. I have no heat. I have already replaced the water pump, the timing belt, the heater core, and the sensor. Next suggestion is the heater box --so they suggest. Isn't there a more affirmative way to dx without spending so much money? Is the heater box really going to fix it?
Category: VW
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Have you checked the hoeater core hoses? Are they both hot when the engine is fully warmed up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
VW has done the work and according to last major "replaced heater core" included seals yet I don't see hoses on the invoice. I have an appt with VW this morning so I can ask them but Yikes!, I am ready to ditch this car--so frustrated.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The heaters heat comes from the engine tempature. The first thing u will need to do is make sure the engine temp is up to par. 200 degrees is normal operating temp. This is the job of the thermostat. If it is stuck open or stuck closed the engine will not get up to and maintain 200 degrees. If that checks out ok, next step would be to make sure the coolant is full and there are no air bubbles at all in the system. Air pockets in the system will cause a no or low heat situation. IF there are air bubbles or air pockets you will need to bleed the system. Warm up the car with the radiator cap off while topping off the coolant. The air bubbles should rise out the top. If your engine has bleeder screws, unscrew them to release the air that is trapped inside. If there is no bleeders than you can cut a hose near the top of the system and put a flushing tee in line and you can just unscrew the cap to let the air out, than tighten the cap back up when you are done. Next would be the heater hoses. Make sure both of them going into the heater core are the same temp.

You can also use a use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the upper and lower radiator hoses. At operating temperature both radiator hoses should be within 10 degrees F of each other, and the upper hose should reach the same temperature that is measured on the engine. If not, then you could also have a plugged radiator.

Hope this helps!
Amedee, VW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can suggest this although the engine temp does maintain about 190 degrees as indicated on the instrument panel. Heat problems have been for over a year. There was one time this summer that I checked G12 fluid because the car was hot for so long after it had been parked. I found the reserve reservoir had become dry. Cap? I had the radiator flushed and new G12 put in. Fluid level has stayed about the same.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. since the engine is maintaining about 190 degrees, I would say that the t stat is ok.

The next step is to feel the hater core hoses. If they both are hot and there still is no heat, then the problem is going to be inside the HVAC assembly. It could be with the climate control module itself.

If the heater hoses are different tempature and the heater core has been replaced, then look for a plugged or restricted heater hoses causing no or low flow to the heater core.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replaced the Intake duct sensor and they rest basic setting for air mix door. they eventually checked the door motor and found it working. My complaint then was that the a/c output will heat up when a/c needed & sometimes would switch to cold with heat selection on.

Months later cabin heater wouldn't work yet the heater output tested at 110 degrees. A/C was continually running unless econ button activated. mechanic stated that flap motors operate w/in specs. temp sensors operate w/in spec. sun intrusion sensor operates w/in spec. a/c climate control head operates 3 w/in spec. then they recommend heater box or switching (?).

I will have them check hoses and for air bubbles.

is the climate control module something different than all that I have already had done?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If you have auto air and have not replace the head unit.. then yes.. here is a picture.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Is this something that a layperson is apt to be able to do? I am handy at most tasks just not an expert. I can follow schematics fairly well. Just getting frustrated with last of heat except from the heated seats.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

You could replace it yourself... but right now we do not even know if this is the problem.

When it is installed, it may need to be calibrated via scan tool.

I would just be sure and check everything else out before replacing this just to be sure that their is nothing else going on with the HVAC system causing your no heat situation.