vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Volkswagen passat 1.8t 2004 passat leaking coolant from back

2004 passat leaking coolant from back of engine head. i don't have a manual or anything, but i'm pretty good under the hood. help me walk through the troubleshooting?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Is is located close to the firewall right behind the valve cover ? next to a silver valve that has a vacuum hose going to it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes. along the top of the valve cover at the back, there's a rubber boot connector that has about 3 lines running into it. there's a distinct round black piece at the very top, 3" in diameter.

right under this is an aluminum 3" cap that is mounted to a part that is bolted to the head.

right under this aluminum piece is a small, maybe 1/4" line.

i can see the coolant dripping off the aluminum piece and onto the 1/4" line then onto the ground.

i'm so unfamiliar with vws that i don't even know what runs through each tube/hose/fitting!!!!

oK if you look closely you have the coolant flange back there where the engine coolant temp sensor located on it more then likely the coolant flange is leaking coolant you will need to remove the valve next to it that is held on by 3 allen bolts after removing the valve you will have room to remove the coolant flange. The part is a dealer item only about $68 you will also need the seal that goes in to the flange from the side pipe and dont forget to get some coolant this job is a little difficult it will take you about 2,5 hours. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!