Volkswagen expert
Volkswagen expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience
22989858

2006 VW jetta: car is idiling..care is stopped at a light or parking

Customer Question

I have a 2006 VW jetta. The car is idiling up & down without anyone pressing the gas and my pick up speed had decreased. I hear it definitely when the care is stopped at a light or parking. The check engine light is on and they gave me a P0171,P0507, and P2279 at the auto zone store. Any help or light would be awesome. I am wondering if it is a fuel pump, air intake system leak, or my engine. I am fustrated and strapped for cash already. thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: VW
Expert:  Volkswagen expert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Yes very often this is caused by a faulty crankcase ventilation regulator , or breather assembly on the belt of allowing a vacuum leak There are 2 crankcase breather valves used on this engine. One is located on the valve cover of the engine and the other is located within the oil filter housing (intake manifold must be removed to replace oil filter housing). These valves control crankcase ventilation. If either the valve cover breather valve diaphragm or the oil filter housing breather valve fails, manifold vacuum can be introduced to the crankcase causing idle quality issues as well as various lean condition codes. Remove the dipstick and check for excessive crankcase vacuum (more than 1" Hg). If excessive crankcase vacuum is present, block off the vacuum tube to the valve cover breather valve to eliminate the vacuum source. If crankcase vacuum is now normal, the valve cover breather valve is faulty and the breather must be replaced. If there is no change from blocking the valve cover vacuum source, locate the vacuum tube to the oil filter housing. Disconnect the tube at the housing and block off the vacuum from the intake manifold. If the crankcase vacuum is now normal, the oil filter housing must be replaced.