vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Volkswagen Jetta 2006 Jetta TDI The red, digital display/dash

2006 Jetta TDI: The red, digital display/dash lights on the main center console box (not the right side neon blue speedometer, nor the neon blue lights on the left) are sporadically dimming, so dim you cannot read the display. Then after a few minutes the lights will come on full again. The display dimmer does still work - so it is not the dimming function that is bad, it seems like it is the actual bulbs behind the display (if there are any bulbs back there) that are sporatically dimming, then coming back on. So my question is if there are bulbs back there, and how to replace them. If no bulbs, what do you think the problem is and how to fix it? 82,000 miles.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

There is no bulbs back there so its hard to even open the instrument cluster apart because you may ruin the gages . There is a company called Module Master that may fix it for you but you will need to call then and see if they can fix the middle part if they wont then you will need to replace the instrument cluster which will need to be done at a vw service shop because it requires to be programmed after replacement. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!