vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

How to replace a alternator in a 2002 vw jetta vr6

How to replace a alternator in a 2002 vw jetta vr6 ????
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

For you to be able to have enough room to remove the alternator on this engine you will need to put the vehicle in device mode which that includes taking off the front bumper and putting the front end forward to get enough room this job takes a couple hours to do . I hope this helps . Please don't forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thank you .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have any schematic for this job??? Any special tool need it ???
You don't need any special tools what type of schematic would you like front end removal!?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes please and if you have any from the alternator removal please and where is the tensiner for release the belt please ??

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

• Remove front bumper cover.
  • Disconnect Bowden cable at lock.
  • Remove one bolt each at longmember's and screw in Guide rods 3411 at right and left longmembers for this.
  • Remove bolts and and pull lock carrier toward front in area of Guide rods 3411.

Register Here

• Disconnect release lever from lid lock, refer to Release lever, removing . See: Doors, Hood and Trunk\Hood Latch\Service and Repair
  • Remove radiator grille, refer to Radiator grill, removing and installing . See: Grille\Service and Repair
  • If equipped, remove covers -7- for headlight cleaning system from bumper cover and unclip.
  • Remove bolts -5- securing bumper cover -1- to wheelhousing -4-.
  • Unclip left air guide grille -9- and right air guide grille -11-.
  • Remove bolts connecting bumper cover -1- to sound insulation on left and front underbody.
  • Remove bolts -2-.
  • Remove bumper cover -1- from guide pieces -3- (left and right).
  • Disconnect connector from temperature sensor.
  • Remove spoiler -8- if necessary
You will need to remove the top enigne cover on the left side to be able to see the tensioner There is a hole on top of the tensioner that you put a bolt in to drive the tensioner down this will release tension on the belt i hopethis helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last question how much can I charge for this job??? And how much you think is the alternator ?
Alternators are about $250 aftermarket and you should charge about 4 hours to do this job.