Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

What does a vehicle speed sensor look like on a 2001 jetta 2.0?

what does a vehicle speed sensor look like on a 2001 jetta 2.0? My speedometer isn't working and I was told it is error code p0501
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 years ago.

Eurocar Inc :

hello there !

Eurocar Inc :

the vehicle speed sensor is on top of the transmission

Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

the vss sensor is under the heat protection that is silver in color in the pic above

Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

looks like that above

Eurocar Inc :

I think i have answered you question fully and deposits does not pay me in full until the green accept button is pressed for the consultation

thank you for you support in JustAnswer and have a great day

p.s. please do not forget the feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!!

Customer:

Is this the speed sensor that affects the speedometer? I was told there is two speed sensors.

Customer:

I have a 2001 volkswagen jetta gls with a 2.0 engine. I got a check engine light checked at autozone and was told it was error code p0501. It is supposively the vehicle speed sensor. I was also told by a friend there is two speed sensors. Which one affects the speedometer? Where is it located? and how does it look?

Eurocar Inc :

hello

Customer:

hi

Eurocar Inc :

the 2 sensors that you are talking about does not pertain to your speedo at all those are for the reansmission ecm

Eurocar Inc :

transmission

Eurocar Inc :

the 2 pics i have sent is the sensor you need to check!!

Eurocar Inc :

the sensor is protected by a silver wrapping (heat shield)

Eurocar Inc :

it is under that

Customer:

ok so these would be the ones that affect the speedometer, and are making my gas light blink everytime i accelerate?

Customer:

the one you shouwed me earlier

Eurocar Inc :

yes correct !

Eurocar Inc :

now there is one other thing to consider

Eurocar Inc :

the mechanical drive that spins the sensor!!! it may be broken!!

Customer:

how would i go about getting to the speed sensor?

Eurocar Inc :

the sensor unscrews

Eurocar Inc :

remove the air cleaner and tube to see better!!

Eurocar Inc :

now once you unscrew the sensor get that out of the way you will see the drive connection

Eurocar Inc :

you will see a little square in the middle

Eurocar Inc :

unscrew that and remove and check and make sure it is not broken

Eurocar Inc :

p.s. please do not forget the feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!!?

Customer:

Thanks. I will accept the answer once i give it a shot and I no longer have any follow up questions.

Eurocar Inc :

ok

Customer:

Hello, I changed the speed sensor today and my speedometer still doesn't work. My ABS light came on as well. Is there anything else I can do?

Eurocar Inc :

how did the wires look ? were they green ? corroded ?

Customer:

Thanks for your help. It was the spinning mechanism

Eurocar Inc :

glad you found the drive broken like i mentioned above!!

Eurocar Inc :

Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience: Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs