David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

hello, I just bought a 2005 2.0 Passat TDI with 46K miles on

Customer Question

hello, I just bought a 2005 2.0 Passat TDI with 46K miles on it. I've been reading about the balance shaft chain drive issue. How coomon is this? Should buy the extended warranty? Is it a saftey issue?
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Not at all on this model. The 2.0 TDI is a belt driven single cam shaft. There are no chains on this engine. The model you are reading about deals with the VR6 engine in the 2006 and newer Passats.

This Passat you are looking at is a good car. One of my customers has one and they are extremely happy with it. In fact they had the car shipped from Texas when they bought it used. Very good fuel mileage.

I would always recommend a warranty package if it is priced right. Also check what is covered before you purchase some only cover engine and or power train components.

Also if you did not purchase this car at a VW dealer, I would suggest you contact your local dealer and have them run the VIN for any open recalls.

David, VW Master Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Not really sure what you are reading on this engine. There is a 2.0 engine that is not a TDI but a gas turbo engine which we saw some issues with.

On some manual TDIs that use a dual mass flywheel we saw a few that have failed. Please let me know what you are seeing so that I can help you further.

The TDI in the 2004 / 2005 is very rare, I believe you may be reading about the gas engine but please send me the link and I can explain better.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thanks. Below is the link, and the text.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm

This oil pump repair procedure also applies if you lost oil pressure from a cracked engine oil pan, oil pump chain tensioner, or balance shaft on your VW Passat TDI.

The Passat TDI sold in North America from 2004-2005 has a great engine, the BHW. However, some cars have had worn oil pump hex drives, rounded sprockets, and failed chain tensioner/chains. These are part of the oil pump/balance shaft assembly and any one of these will result in low or no oil pressure. If you see a warning on the instrument cluster that says STOP - low oil pressure, shut off the engine as soon as is safe and pull over to the side of the road. Do not risk getting into an accident to save the engine, always keep control of the car and concentrate on safe driving first. Your second priority should be to pull over and shut the engine off as soon as is safe.

Also, another atricle on the "problem"

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/balance-shaft-oil-pump-magazine-scan-large-pic-2166/

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

First the engines that they are talking about is a similar engine but not the same one sold here in the U.S. The oil pump design on this engine is very similar to that what has been used in the 4 cyl engines for many years without major issues. Now as they state in the article there is always going to be a failure of parts. Any manufactor will have small amount of failures. Now on this engine the oil needed to operate the engine is a special oil, it must meet VW spect 505-01. Failure to use the correct oil will result in internal failures. Something that is not addressed in this article. Now I have worked with VW for over 10 years and never saw an oil pump failure or chain failure.

Like I stated earlier it is always recommend that you purchase an extended warranty, I only caution you to check out the warranty prior to buying it. If you need the bulletin that shows the oils approved for this please advise and I will send it to you in the morning.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ThanksDavid. Strange how everyone on teh boardsseemsconvinced there isapproblemwiththr B5.5 TDIs.

.As forwarranty, I'm lookimg at the VW recomended AUL policy 3 yrs / 36K miles powertrain.

So, you think I should get he warranty, and rest assured knowing thst th 2.0 with the balance shaft TDI motor in my Passat is a good design?

Details: Do you yhink this ce=overage is sufficient?

AUL Administrators Powertrain Coverage

"Covers the basics, this may just be what you need"

Engine Group:
All internally lubricated parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, internal timing gears or chain/belt, camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, and distributor drive gear. The engine block and cylinder heads are covered if damage is caused by mechanical failure of an internally lubricated part.

Engine (Rotary):
All of the above listed parts plus rotors, rotor seals, rotor chamber, eccentric shaft and bearings.

Turbocharger/Supercharger:
Factory installed turbocharger or supercharger, including housing, and all internal parts.

Transmission, Transaxle, and Transfer Case (4x4 / AWD):
All internally lubricated parts contained in the housings - and torque converter. Case housings are covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Drive Axle Group (Front or Rear):
Drive axle housing including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axles, axle bearings, constant velocity joints, internal transaxle seal, and drive axle housing, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Seals and Gaskets:
Seals and gaskets are covered when replaced in conjunction with a covered failure, or if the "Seals and Gaskets Coverage" option has been selected and the covered vehicle has less than 125,000 miles at contract purchase date, failed seals and gaskets for covered components will be replaced. Minor loss of fluid or seepage is considered normal and is not considered a failure.

Plus these benefits are included with every AUL plan...

Towing:
If your covered vehicle breaks down, we won't leave you stranded. We'll arrange to have your car, truck or SUV towed to the nearest qualified repair facility within a 150-mile radius. This service is available 24/7.

Flat Tire Change:
Don't risk changing a flat yourself-call us. We'll send a qualified pro to put a spare on your covered vehicle. If your spare won't work, we'll provide you with transportation to the nearest tire store for repairs.

Emergency Fuel Delivery Service:
When it comes to emergency fuel, we deliver. Any time you run out of fuel, we'll arrange for a service provider to deliver two (2) gallons of fuel to your covered vehicle. You are responsible for the cost of the fuel at the time of delivery.

Battery Jump Service:
Few things are more frustrating than a dead battery. If your covered vehicle won't crank, we'll arrange for a service provider to assist you and get your vehicle moving again.

Key Lockout Service:
It's embarrassing. It's inconvenient. It's easily solved with our Key Lockout Service. Just call us any time your keys are lost, broken or locked inside your covered vehicle. We'll send a service provider and pay up to $100 per occurrence to cover the cost of the locksmith service, excluding the cost of replacement keys. You are responsible for replacement keys.

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

This is seems like a good basic power train coverage. I would recommend you just check out the company for any complaints. Over the last few years the warranty companies have gotten much better at taking care of the customer.

Here is the PDF file with the oil requirements. Keep in mind that your engine must have the VW spec oil 505-01. Failure to use the correct oil will result in engine damage that will not be covered by any warranty.

Click here for the link

Just a note this bulletin shows all oils. Make sure the page is for 505-01.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks David, This has been helpful, I went back an added a bonus to the original accept, but this is my first time using this so I'm not sure if we're all good wrt $$ Please confirm.

Also, I signed up for a 1 month free questions subscription, How does that work, do I just ask questions, then give a bonus from time to time? or, something else?

Thanks for the help still trying to fuigure this service out. Good stuff though..

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Yes the bonus went through. thank you. I am not sure exactly how the unlimited questions work, I will find out a little more information. We work with customers through JA as a contractor so we are not always up on the administration part. Let me send an email to staff so they can explain it better. I will advise what I info I get back from them. I have a meeting that I will be in most of the evening so I will reply in the morning to you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Great. Cuz I have a couple more Questions about your opinion on TDI chip (wise / unwise) and loweing springs (HKS / EIbach) .
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Sorry the info I got back was that JA was going to send you info on this. Please advise if they did or did not.

As far as lowering the vehicle with Eibach, this brand is a very good known name for both automotive and motorcycle racing springs. They are a good choice. Now the draw back, is that this car is already low, and lowering it makes the oil pan very low. This can cause it to be struck by parking stops or items on the road. Since the oil pan is not steel it can crack. We saw a lot of this at the dealer.

Now for chipping the ECM to provide more performance. Most chips can improve power and mileage, the draw back is that they are not legal to use on U.S. vehicles. So if you live in a state that does smog testing your vehicle will fail. If you dont live in an area that does smog tests, and you dont care about the emissions then a chip will help you. Normally chipping a car's ECM or flashing one for performance on TDIs will raise Nox emissions, as the timing curve is changed slightly.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions I will be glad to help you with them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!

Yes, I got an email explaining that am signed up for a monthly service which means that I only need accept these answers and click on the "included" button, then tip as needed.

Unfortunately, this thread doesn'tpresent mewiththe"included" button, when I try to accept, soI 'm not sure how to finish this particular conversation. I'll will work customer service and try to figure it out.