Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified to fix all makes and models
3827149

2003 VW PASSAT: WITH A LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT ON..PLASTIC..TURBO

Customer Question

2003 VW PASSAT WITH A LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT ON, TOOK APART CLEANED OUT PICK UP (PLASTIC DEBRIS) PUT BACK TOGETHER LOW OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM SOLVED, NOW TURBO NOT WORKING?
Category: VW
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 3 years ago.
How much debris was there possible damaged the turbo ? Is there any boost at all ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ANY DEBRIS THAT WE SAW WAS STUCK IN THE SUMP SCREEN, NO BOOST AT ALL,TURBO MAKING NOISE LIKE ITS OPERATING SLOWLY

Ok you need to remove all lines to the turbo check the waste gate and vacuum lines . Sounds like there is debris or sludge that got up to the turbo . Hopefully the turbo was not damaged . It's possible it did get damaged . I would see if there is anything causing any blockage to the turbo next.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ALRIGHT, WE ARE GOING TO GO AHEAD AND DO THAT, I WILL GET BACK TO YOU LATER AFTER WE DO THAT
No problem will be here if you need anymore help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THER WAS NO BLOCKAGE TO THE TURBO, AND IT SPINS FREELY BY HAND, BUT WHEN YOU DRIVE THE CAR IT HAS NO GET UP AND GO AND YOU CAN HEAR THE TURBO MAKING NOISE. I JUST GOT A P0299 AFTER A TEST DRIVE.
the n249 valve (turbo recirculating valve) needs to be replaced if the diaphragm is ruptured technical bulletin 01 07 70

Here's the bulletin.
ClickHere
ClickHere
These are the next steps . Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DIAPHRAGM LOOKS GOOD, ANY OTHER THOUGHTS
Sounds like the turbo itself is bad internally . Has it been checked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT TURNS FREELY BY HAND AND THE SHAFT IS TIGHT

Even if that diaphragm looks good it might not be holding vacuum did you perform a vacuum test to the valve .'
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THE DIAPHRAGM WAS HOLDING VACUUM, YES
No engine light at all ? And the boost valve is good and not abnormal noise from the turbo ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES ON A EARLIER TEST DRIVE I GOT A P0299, AND THE NOISE FROM THE TURBO IS LIKE A TINNY VIBRATION
Ok that code is for that valve has to be malfunctioning or there is an internal issue with the turbo if it's making noise then the problem lies there.