Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I dont see timing marks on the crank shaft or engine casing..camshaft

I dont see timing marks on the crank shaft or engine casing. I do see them for the camshaft. What am i missing.
Also
Im at the point where Im putting the timing belt back on. Before I turn it over Id like to verify if the valves are bent. I have a compression tester. Is there an easy way to verify using compression or someother way?

I think I know why. Its dependant on the exhaust or compression stroke? How do I align the crank i think A cyl has to be tdc but I dont know which one and dont know how to put it there...
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

the crank mark is on the crankshaft damper/pulley

this should help

thanks

2.0L (9a, Aba) Engines

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the accessory drive belts, crankshaft pulley and the timing belt cover(s).
  2. Temporarily reinstall the crankshaft pulley bolt and turn the crankshaft to TDC of No. 1 piston. The mark on the camshaft sprocket should be aligned with the mark on the inner timing belt cover or the edge of the cylinder head.
  3. With the distributor cap removed, the rotor should be pointing toward the No. 1 mark on the rim of the distributor housing. On 8 valve engines, the notch on the crankshaft pulley should align with the dot on the intermediate shaft sprocket.
  4. Loosen the locknut on the tensioner pulley and turn the tensioner counterclockwise to relieve the tension on the timing belt.
  5. Slide the timing belt from the sprockets.

FIG : Adjusting the belt tension on a 2.0L 8 valve

image

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the timing belt cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the timing marks

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Locate the tensioner

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Loosen the tensioner bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Mark the belts direction of rotation

To install:

1. Check the alignment of the timing marks. On 16-valve engines, the mark on the tooth should align with the mark on the rear belt cover.
  2. Install the new timing belt and tension the belt so it can be twisted 90° at the middle of it's longest section, between the camshaft and intermediate sprockets.
  3. Recheck the alignment of the timing marks and, if correct, turn the engine 2 full revolutions to return to TDC of No. 1 piston. Recheck belt tension and timing marks. Readjust as required. Torque the tensioner nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  4. Install the belt cover and accessory drive belts.
  5. If the belt is too tight, there will be a growling noise that rises and falls with engine speed.

2.0L (AEG) 4-Cylinder Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the necessary components to gain access to the front of the engine.
  3. Remove the serpentine drive belt by performing the following procedure:
    1. Using an open-end wrench, rotate the serpentine drive belt tensioner clockwise to relieve the belt tension. Using tool 3090 or a drift awl, lock the tensioner in place.
    2. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

4. Remove the drive tensioner from the engine.
  5. Rotate the crankshaft to position the No. 1 cylinder on Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  6. Remove the upper timing belt cover.
    NOTE If the camshaft sprocket is not aligned with its timing mark, rotate the crankshaft 1 complete turn until the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks align.
  7. Install the Engine Support tool 10-222A with Leg tools and support the weight of the engine.
  8. From the front of the engine, remove the engine mount and bracket which will interfere with the timing belt removal.
  9. Mark the rotational direction of the timing belt for reinstallation purposes.
  10. Remove the vibration damper-to-crankshaft sprocket bolts and the damper.
  11. Remove the center and lower timing belt covers.
  12. Release the timing belt tensioner and remove the timing belt.

: View of crankshaft damper aligned with the timing mark-Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine-

image

13. FIG : View of camshaft damper aligned with the timing mark-Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine-

image

14. FIG : Adjusting the timing belt tensioner-Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine-

image

15. To install:

1. Make sure that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are aligned.
    2. Install the timing belt, with the arrow pointing in the direction of rotation, on the crankshaft sprocket, the water pump sprocket and the camshaft sprocket.
    3. Install the lower and center timing belt covers.
    4. Install the vibration damper and torque the damper-to-crankshaft sprocket bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    5. Using the 2-Hole Tensioning tool T-10020, rotate the timing belt tensioner counterclockwise until notch 1 and indicator 2 align. Then, tighten the timing belt tensioner nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    6. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions and recheck the timing marks.
    7. Install the upper timing belt cover.
    8. Install the engine bracket and torque the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
    9. Install the engine mount and torque the mount-to-bracket bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm) plus 90 degree turn ( 1 / 4 turn), the mount-to-body bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) and the mount-to-engine bracket bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm) plus 90 degree turn ( 1 / 4 turn).
    10. Install the timing belt tensioner and torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    11. Complete the installation by reversing the removal procedures.
    12. Test drive the vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great this is what in needed. Would you have an image that show how the serpenteen belt should be installed?

this may help

thanks

FIG : Accessory drive belt routing-1.8L (AWP/AWV/AWW) engines 2.0L (AEG/AVH/AZG/BDC) engines without A/C

image

FIG : Accessory drive belt routing-2.0L (ABA) engine without A/C

image

FIG : Accessory drive belt routing-2.0L (ABA) engine with A/C

image

image

image

FIG : Accessory drive belt routing-2.0L (AEG) engine without A/C

image

FIG : Accessory drive belt routing-2.0L (AEG) engine with A/C

image

image

image

image

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wonder if i can bug you for additional info.

I jsut replaced the timing belt and everything is back together. I checked the timing and both the cam and crank marks are dead on. Engibe wont start. I get a few puffs of a back fire...thats it. Ive been told by some experts on this site that the engine IS and interference engine but other experts said its not. Seem to me like it. Can you help me verify it is once and for all? I dont mind taking the head off if thats whats nessesary.

thanks

hi

a fast way to check this is to do a compression test on the cylinders...if you are sure the belt is correct..you should have good compressure on the 2nd turn of the engine over 120psi.if you have no compression any or some of the cylinders,,you may have damage to the valves...it is a n interference engine,,i have seen some get lucky and not do damage...but,from what you are saying..i think you may need to remove the head

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic