Cory
Cory, VW Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience

2004 passat. Drivers seat keeps moving forward even if engine off

Category: VW
Expert:  Cory replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Keith :

Replace seat switch

Customer :

What can I do RIGHT now while I am driving?

Customer :

Is there something I can turn off like that switch?

Customer :

Hello?

Keith :

Press the switch to rear position, wiggle the switch while pushing it to the reverse position.

Customer :

Is there some way I can stop the seat from moving on its own?

Customer :

??get the seat to go all the way back and wiggle the switch on the side of the seat while doing it?

Customer :

I have to get to the car to try this. Is there a Plan B if this does not work?

Keith :

remove fuse for power seat is the most simple way.

Customer :

which fuse?

Keith :

Look in the owners manual, it will identify fuse locations and accessories.

Customer :

it does not name the different fuses

Customer :

It just tells where they are. So, which fuse is it?

Keith :

You said the engine was off, then you were driving it, and now you have to get to the car?

Customer :

Yes. the seat is moving by itself regardless of whether the engine is on. Please just tell me what to do in terms of the fuse

Customer :

after jiggling the switch while putting seat in reverse position, it is still doing it

Keith :
11:09 AM

Customer :

I see where there is a picture of the fuses on the lid to the fuse box. None of them list the seats so I still do not know which fuse your are guiding me towards

Keith :

It also tells locations of each accessory, you can disconnect seat switch or main seat motor harness plug under the front of the seat.

Keith :

There is a picture o the fuses and they are numbered. Your owners manual will tell you what number fuse it is.

Customer :

Online I found FUSE 5. This controls heated seats, cruise control and INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. I assume heated seats is not just the heater but the overall seat issue. I dont care about the cruise control. BUT what happens if this affects part of the instrument cluster? Whatever that is

Customer :

Fuse 5 also does air conditioning, but that is not an issue up here

Keith :

Wrong fuse, pull plug from underneath front of seat.

Customer :

do you have to remove carpet?

Keith :

no, between seat and carpet.

Customer :

will look, please come back in a minute

Customer :

I found a switch in the front L of the driver's seat and pulled it out. I am excited that I can now go back to driving without being crushed by the seat. I guess we will have to get a new seat switch next week. THANKS

Keith :

No problem.

Cory, VW Technician
Experience: 25 years Experience