marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster

2001 Cabrio: heater core..under-dash crossbar..steering apparatus

Customer Question

Trying to get to heater core in 2001 Cabrio. Stuck at under-dash crossbar. How do I remove it from steering apparatus? I removed the bolts near door hinge and removed bolts from console. Seems welded to arms that attach to firewall and removing from firewall seems impossible.
Category: VW
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
marcpod :

Welcome si this with ac or no ac?

Customer :

with ac

Customer :

don't all modern cars have ac?

Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

No They don't so hold tight lost you in the chat so just hold on tight

1. Discharge A/C system.
  2. Remove instrument panel.
  3. Remove housing support bracket.
  4. Disconnect heater core hoses and plug heater core outlets (to prevent coolant spills).
  5. Remove heater box/evaporator housing.

Edited by marcpod on 9/13/2010 at 12:32 AM EST
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

Did you remove the heater box as soon as you take the box out it should slide right out under the dash reinforcement

Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I can't take the heater box out because the dash reinforcement is blocking it. I can't access anything until it is removed.
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.
The reinforcement should only be held in place by unbolting it once you get it unbolted it should right out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In this video of a passat, you would be correct. However, in the cabrio the reinforcement runs below the steering column and holds it and goes straight across to block anything from just sliding out. Look at the 1:44 minute mark. Again, in the cabrio the dash runs below the steering column. I was hoping you might have had some experience with a cabrio... my problem, again, is that the reinforcement appears welded to the steering column which seems welded to the chasis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Jetta is more like mine... as you can see, they have to remove the reinforcment...
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I see that. That was prety cool. Let me check

something else.

Instrument panel cross member, loosening and tightening

Register Here

• Remove bolts -arrows-
  • Tightening torque: 25 Nm (18 ft. lb.)
  • To access or remove heating unit and surrounding parts, lift cross member in direction of arrow -A- and support.

• To avoid damage to the steering column, have a second technician assist.
  • If removed components are not to be reinstalled immediately, secure cross member to the bulkhead.
  • Any wiring harnesses released from their retainers must be secured again at the same point, using the same retainers.

Edited by marcpod on 9/13/2010 at 2:42 AM EST
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

I should have done some checking the other cars like that I didnt have my book with me I am out of town in a hotel room. Very good job my freind

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX as I suspected my problem is that top bolt near the windshield... it's flat and round... I probably have to acess it on the other side through the engine or under the wipers. That will be an extra pain since there is a ton of other stuff in the way such as the wiper motor. I'll check tomorrow and get back to you before I "accept".

Also, just one more question if I may... How do I drain the freon or do I even really have to?

Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

I was windering why the went into the engine compartment good job my man.