Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Changeing clutch master cylinder 2002 jetta

changeing clutch master cylinder 2002 jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should be all you need..please print

thanks

Volkswagen Cars 2000-05

clutch

Master Cylinder REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

The clutch master and slave cylinders should be replaced as a pair. If one unit fails, the other usually will fail soon after.

Removal & Installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. View of the brake/clutch master cylinder

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Detach the brake line from the master cylinder.
  3. Cap off the open line.
  4. Detach and cap off the supply line at the master cylinder.
  5. Disconnect the relay plate from the left retainer.
  6. Detach the pedal cluster protective plate.
  7. Detach the master cylinder push rod from the pedal cluster.
  8. Remove the mounting bracket support.
  9. Remove the master cylinder.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.
  2. Do not forget to install the retainer on the master cylinder push rod.
  3. Engage the retainer by depressing the clutch pedal
  4. Thoroughly bleed the clutch master cylinder

1. Remove the necessary trim panel or carpet.
  2. Disconnect the pushrod at the clutch pedal.
  3. Remove the cap on the reservoir tank. On some vehicles, there is a clutch master cylinder reservoir, while on others there is a common reservoir shared with the brake master cylinder. Remove the float container, if equipped. Remove the screen and remove enough brake fluid from the tank until the level drops below the connection for the filler pipe.
  4. On A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, detach the supply hose from the master cylinder reservoir and plug.
  5. Remove the lower/left instrument panel trim. Then, detach the master cylinder actuating rod where it attaches to the pedal mechanism.
  6. Remove the supply hose from the master cylinder and drain into a small, suitable container, and then plug the hose. Disconnect the line to the slave cylinder. Remove the retaining bolts and remove the master cylinder from the firewall.

To install:

1. Install the clutch master cylinder in position. Make sure all bushings remain in position.
  2. Tighten the master cylinder mounting bolts to 6.5 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
  3. Tighten the fluid connections to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
  4. Fill and bleed the system.

5 And 6-Speed 02m & 02y Transmissions

NOTE This procedure requires the following special tools and equipment, or their equivalents:

T10005 A Pliers

1. If necessary, make sure you have the radio anti-theft code.
  2. Make sure the ignition is OFF , then disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the intake hose, connector and hose from the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.
  4. FIG : Remove the intake hose (1), connector (2) and hose (3) from the mass air flow sensor. Unfasten the bolts (4, 5), then remove the air cleaner housing

image

5. Remove the complete air cleaner housing by removing the bolts.
  6. Disconnect the supply hose from the brake fluid reservoir and plug or cap it.
  7. Remove the clip that secures the line/hose to the master cylinder.
  8. Pull the line/hose assembly from the master cylinder and cap or plug it.
  9. FIG : View of the supply hose (A), clip (B) and line/hose assembly (C)

image

10. Remove driver's side lower cover(s).
  11. Turn the clutch pedal switch 45° to the left, then pull it out from the support.
  12. Separate the master cylinder operating rod from the clutch pedal as follows:
    1. Pull the clutch pedal lightly toward the passenger compartment.
    2. Using pliers T10005 or equivalent tool, press both sides of the mounting inward.
    3. FIG : Using pliers T10005 or equivalent tool, press both sides of the mounting inward

image

4. Remove the clutch pedal support as follows:

1. Remove the connecting plate first (arrows 1).
      2. Remove the securing nuts (arrows 2) for mounting bracket.
      3. Remove the mounting bracket.
      4. FIG : Remove the connecting plate (A), then remove the nuts for mounting bracket (B)

image

5. Turn stop (A) for clutch pedal in direction of arrow and remove

6. FIG : Turn stop (A) for clutch pedal in direction of arrow and remove

image

7. Push master cylinder in direction of arrow (1) onto stop.
        NOTE The master cylinder must not be covered in upper area by over-center spring mounting (arrow 2).
      8. Swing the master cylinder in direction of arrow (3) out of mounting bracket.
      9. FIG : Removing the master cylinder from the mounting bracket

image

10. To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
          1. Fit retainer (A) to master cylinder operating rod -B-.
          2. FIG : Fit retainer (A) to master cylinder operating rod -B-

image

3. Press clutch pedal in direction of arrow to engage and make sure it is in the proper position.

4. FIG : Press clutch pedal in direction of arrow to engage and make sure it is in the proper position.

image

5. Fit stop (A) for clutch pedal again. For the proper installed position, the arm (arrow) points toward master cylinder -B-.
          6. Bleed the clutch system after installing master cylinder, as outlined in this section.

7. 5-Speed 02j Transmission

3309 Release tool 10-208 A Pliers

1. Remove the intake hose, connector and hose from the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.
              FIG : Remove the intake hose (1), connector (2) and hose (3) from the mass air flow sensor. Unfasten the bolts (4, 5), then remove the air cleaner housing

image

2. Remove the complete air cleaner housing by removing the bolts.
            3. Disconnect the supply hose from the brake fluid reservoir and plug or cap it.
            4. Pry the clip for line/hose assembly out of master cylinder (direction of arrow in illustration).
            5. Pull the line/hose assembly from the master cylinder and plug or cap it.

FIG : View of the supply hose (A), clip (B) and line/hose assembly (C)

image

6. Remove driver's side lower cover
            7. Remove complete clutch pedal mounting bracket as follows:
              1. Remove connecting plate first (arrows 1).
              2. Remove securing nuts (arrows 2) for mounting bracket.
              3. Remove the mounting bracket.
              4. FIG : View of the connecting plate (A), then remove the nuts for mounting bracket (B)

image

5. Separate the master cylinder operating rod from clutch pedal as follows:

1. Insert release tool 3309 in clutch pedal cut-outs (arrow A). Inscription "top/open" (-B-) points away from clutch pedal.
                2. With pliers 10-208A positioned in recesses (arrow- C-), press release tool together.
                  FIG : Insert release tool 3309 in clutch pedal cut-outs (arrow A). Inscription "top/open" (-B-) points away from clutch pedal. With pliers 10-208A positioned in recesses (arrow- C-), press release tool together.

image

3. Turn stop (A) for clutch pedal in direction of arrow and remove.

4. FIG : Turn stop (A) for clutch pedal in direction of arrow and remove

image

5. Push master cylinder in direction of arrow (1) onto stop.
                6. Master cylinder must not be covered in upper area by over-center spring mounting (arrow -2-).
                7. Swing master cylinder in direction of arrow (3) out of mounting bracket.
                8. FIG : Removing the master cylinder from the mounting bracket

image

9. To install:

1. Fit retainer (A) to master cylinder operating rod (B).

2. FIG : Fit retainer (A) to master cylinder operating rod (B)

image

image

5. Fit stop (A) for clutch pedal again. For the proper installed position, the arm (arrow) points toward master cylinder (B).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bench bleeding and bleeding procedures?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
need bench bleeding and bleeding procdures 6 speed

ok

Volkswagen Cars 2000-05

Hydraulic System

• HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

Hydraulic System Bleeding

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Clean the top of the brake master cylinder fluid reservoir before opening it.
  3. Be sure that there is adequate fluid in the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir before attempting to bleed the system.
  4. Check the fluid level throughout the bleeding procedure.
  5. Connect a hose to the bleeder valve fitting on the clutch slave cylinder.
  6. Submerge the other end of the hose into a container of clean brake fluid.
  7. Push the clutch pedal down while opening the bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder.
  8. Watch for air bubbles escaping from the hydraulic system.
  9. Close the bleeder before releasing the clutch pedal.
  10. Repeat the procedure until no more air bubbles are seen.
  11. Reinstall the rubber inspection cover to the bell housing.
  12. Top off the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir and install the diaphragm and cap securely.
  13. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  14. Check the clutch for proper operation.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir. Clean all dirt and grease from the cap to be sure no foreign substances enter the system.
  3. Remove the cap and diaphragm and fill the reservoir to the top with the approved DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Fully loosen the bleed screw which is in the slave cylinder body next to the inlet connection.
  4. At this point bubbles of air will appear at the bleed screw outlet. When the slave cylinder is full and a steady stream of fluid comes out of the slave cylinder bleeder, tighten the bleed screw.
  5. Refill the reservoir and cap it. Exert a light load of about 20 lbs. (9 kg) to the slave cylinder piston by pushing the release lever towards the cylinder and loosen the bleed screw. Maintain a constant light load; fluid and any air that is left will be expelled through the bleed port. Tighten the bleed screw when a steady flow of fluid with no air is being expelled.
  6. Fill the reservoir fluid level back to normal capacity, if necessary repeat Step 4.
  7. Exert a light load to the release lever but do not open the bleeder screw as the piston in the slave cylinder will move slowly down the bore. Repeat this operation 2-3 times; the fluid movement will force any air left in the system into the reservoir. The hydraulic system should now be fully bled.
  8. Check the operation of the clutch hydraulic system and repeat this procedure, if necessary.

The clutch and brake hydraulics use an approved DOT 4 brake fluid in their systems. The hydraulic system should be bled periodically, usually a minimum of every two years, or more often under severe use. Brake fluid can absorb moisture. Because condensation is heavier than brake fluid, and under normal conditions, will not mix with it, the sediment and condensation tend to collect in the slave cylinder and in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir.

If possible, before bleeding the system, use a siphon gun or a cooking baster to remove the old fluid, or remove the reservoir and flush it using a recommended brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol. If necessary, the reservoir can be flushed while removed from the vehicle using lightly pressurized water, however the reservoir must be flushed with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol and dried completely before installation.

There are a number of brake hydraulic bleeders available that use vacuum to 'pull' the fluid through the hydraulic system. The advantage these tools offer is that the system can be bled without the help of an assistant.

CAUTION Bleeding or flushing the clutch hydraulic system with dirty or contaminated fluid may result in component damage.

When bleeding a clutch hydraulic system, always observe to following guidelines:

NEVER reuse brake fluid Always bleed the system using fresh fluid Do NOT use fluid which has been left uncapped Use a recommended fluid which is compatible with the existing fluid

1. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid.
  2. Fit a flare or box end wrench onto the slave cylinder bleeder screw.
  3. Attach a (clear if available) rubber tube to the slave cylinder bleed screw and suspend it into a suitable clear drain container partially filled with brake fluid.
  4. Open the bleeder screw and have an assistant press the clutch pedal to the floor.
  5. While holding the clutch pedal to the floor, close the bleed screw.
  6. Slowly release the clutch pedal to its fullest extension and recheck the reservoir fluid level. Top off as necessary.
  7. Repeat the above steps until the fluid exiting the bleed screw is clean and free of all air bubbles.
  8. Top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. A vacuum tester and a bleeding attachment (shown bleeding the brakes here) eliminate the need for a helper. These units are available from automotive vendors

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.