Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

VW Passat GLS: what is fault code..malfunction..1.8T..eng

what is fault code P1296 (Engine cooling malfunction)? what do i need to fix it?
02 VW Passat GLS 1.8T eng code AWM
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Super mechanic :

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Super mechanic :

That could be just the thermostat

Super mechanic :

You will want to make sure that the engine is not running too hot and that it is gettting up to the proper temperature

Super mechanic :

SAEVAGDescription
P129617704Malfunction in cooling system

Check Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor

Super mechanic :

Check thermostat.

Customer :

its getting up to the right temp

Super mechanic :

Then you will want to check the coolant sensor

Customer :

where can i find that at

Super mechanic :

I can get the test for that, but I would put it in a PDF format so you can print it out

Super mechanic :

Let me get that. However, I will switch to Q&A because half of the page does not show up on this side, (don't know why)

Customer :

whats that

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hey can u post that PDF on my email

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Here is the test for the sensor. It is sometimes easier to replace it though. You can download the test at this link. No emals allowed, sorry

SENSOR TEST

graphic

1 - Air filter housing
2 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) -G39-* before catalytic converter, 50 Nm
3 - Oxygen Sensor (O2S) behind Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC) -G130-*, 50 Nm
4 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor -G62-*
5 - Recirculating valve for turbocharger -N249-*/**
6 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) solenoid valve -N112-*/**
7 - Throttle valve control module (J338)*
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

I noticed that you have not replied, or accepted, did you need any more on it? Please don’t forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience