vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

How do i change fuel pump on my 2002 jetta tdi

Customer Question

how do i change fuel pump on my 2002 jetta tdi
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

What is the issue because theres only a sending unit in the tank?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ran fine last night. Got up this morning and turned over but would not crank
Ok then more then likely you have a issue with the injection pump because there is no fuel pump in the tank its only a sending unit you can try to have someone crank the vehicle over and loosen up the fuel injector lines with a 17mm wrench while cranking the vehicle and do not tighten down the line till you get a good constant flow of fuel coming out of the line this will get any air out of the system if it has any and possibly get your vehicle started but theres another issue with your fuel system possible injection pump. I hope this helps.

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO CLICK ACCEPT FOR MY TIME AND ANSWER I HAVE PROVIDED YOU ON THIS ISSUE.!!

vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pulled the line off from the fuel filter to the injection pump and did not feel a vacuum. Getting no fuel.
Wich indicates a injection pump problem or air in system do what i have recommended and see if it will get the air out and get your vehicle starter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there any bleeder valves on this motor to help it prime

No just at the lines like i have stated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long should it take to prime
Not long at all with someone cranking the vehicle when you open and close the line when you get fuel out of each line make sure you have a battery charger handy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

getting fuel from each injector but still not cranking

Is it not cranking or starting??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Engine is turning over but still not starting

ok do you have any faults in the ecm?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

If you are getting fuel to the injectors and the engine still wont run then the next step will be to check the coolant temp sensor and the glow plugs make sure those are working properly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i squirted ether in the breather box it would fire up long enough to burn all the ether.when i finally got one injector flowing like it should the one next to it had no fuel coming out of it.but before all four injectors were getting some fuel.
You need to get all fuel injectors to have good fuel flow