vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Manual Transmission will not go into gear.

Customer Question

I need some off-the-cuff diagnosis from you if you don't mind and have time to help a girl in need!

I think my beetle just completely crapped out on me and I hope you can tell me what happened. I was leaving work early because I have an appointment to look at an apartment and I got into it and started it (and it's been driving beautifully for months now) and I put it into reverse and backed out of the space I was in, and then went to put it into first gear and it wouldn't go into any gear! It came right out of reverse thankfully, and when I took my foot off of the clutch and gassed it, it went forward, but it acts like it is stuck in first (or maybe second) gear. the gear shifter moves around a LOT but acts like it's not connected to anything. I was able to get home but not go above 25 MPH.

Thankfully, my boyfriend was in the car with me and he took off the leather "cover" and the black rubber cover and was looking at the inner workings of it and it looks/feels like it somehow came undone? if that makes sense...

Do you have any ideas of what could have happened? The car drove completely fine this morning and at lunchtime as well.

--edited, the car is a Volkswagen, not an Isuzu. I do not know how that got listed---
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

ok what needs to be checked is to see if the linkage on top of trans is still attached have this been checked ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how would i check that? Is it very hard to do?
This is not too difficult you will need to look on top of the transmission to the left of the battery and the air box there you will see the shift linkage what you will need to do is shift the shifter inside the car and see if the cables change the shifter where it attachés to the top of the trans i recommend you use 2 people one shifting the gears inside and another looking at the linkage you. If the gears will not go in there and the cables look ok then you may be looking at a issue with the cables where they attach to the shifter . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Does this help??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry about the delay!

my boyfriend and i checked it out, there look to be two cables, one on top of the other, the top one moves when you move the shifter around, the bottom one doesn't seem to move at all.

also, the "arm" looking metal piece that is the bracket arm moves slightly but seems to get stuck.

not sure if it helps/is any way useful, but the clutch is not soft or mushy feeling, it is just the shifter arm that has lost it. it only moves forward and back also, you can't easily move it left to right.
If it does not move from side to side then more then likely it is in the shifter . The next step will be to take things apart if you have no experience with this i recommend you take it in to a shop because its not easy . I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you give me what is a logical estimate for getting this resolved? ie, what you would charge for something like this? i just want to make sure I don't get ripped off! if you can tell me what to expect i'll accept :) thanks!
A shop will charge you about $95 to get it diagnosed and tell you whats wrong with it if it is the shifter you are looking at about $400 parts and labor if the cables came are just mis adjusted or bad you are looking at about $275. I hope this helps.

vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help!!!
Your welcome!!