Anthony
Anthony, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2000 Beetle: ignition switch assembly..keyfob (none..valet key

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Beetle. The internal spool for the ignition switch assembly (between the switch and lock cylinder) had the tab to the switch broken.
I replaced the switch and the internal spool.I replaced the lock cylinder also with one that had a keyfob (none matching to the car)since all we had was a valet key.
I tried the new lock cylinder and keyfob first but couldn't get the car to run more than (2) sec's due to the security system. So I put the old lock cylinder back in and the security system still won't let it run for more than (2) sec's.
I can usually disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for about 10-15 seconds to clear the security. I did this over and over between swaps. I also tried locking the doors with the back hatch open and shutting it. Nothing has worked.
I also pulled up instructions to program the new keyfob (about 3 different versions) and all of them failed to work.
At this point, the Beetle has the original lock cylinder and the valet key in it. What do I do ?
Category: VW
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

HelloCustomer Welcome to justanswer!

If the car runs for 2 seconds and stalls, the immobilizer does not see the key. VW does not let anyone but themselves reprogram keys. It has to goto VW. They charge an hour to program keys. Theres no other way. I deal with this a couple of times a week.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't see the original Valet Key ? It did before...
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
When it runs for two seconds it does not see the key period.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Dis-respect here... I can put the Valet key in the door lock and lock/unlock the doors and use it to roll the windows up and down from the door lock.

With the Valet key In the ignition in run mode, the radio works. I was under the impression that the radio wouldn't work if the Security System was in lock-down mode.

No OBDII error codes either...

Would the black plastic cover for the lock cylinder (has a 2-wire connector on it) have anything to do with this since I has to remove it once because it wouldn't allow the key to turn to the start position ?

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
I understand. When the engine computer does not see the key, it will run the engine for 2 seconds and shut it down. All other functions will still work but you will not keep the engine running for longer than 2 seconds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Woo-hoo !!! I finally gave up on the Beetle, so I packed everything in a baggie, and started to push the car out into the driveway until I could take it to a dealer. I had left the Valet Key in the ignition while I was in the house for about an hour. I turned the key and noticed the Security Light wasn't flashing. Started the car and it runs !!!

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Thats great. Id still have another key made for the car though.