vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

2009 VW Passat 2.0T: the Engine Fault Workshop Light comes on

I have a 2009 VW Passat 2.0T and just recently, when I drive it (and take a curve) usually, in the morning, the "Engine Fault Workshop" Light comes on. What does that mean? Is my car still safe to drive?

Additionally, (I don't know if this is associated with the warning light or not,) but, when I hear the turbo kick in during an acceleration from a stop, it sounds "loose" ... almost like the sound that you could immagine when rocks or pebbles are in the tank of a vaccuum cleaner ... (sorry for the poor audio description...) Please advise!

The car only has 7000 mi on it and is about 7 months old...

Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Is the check engine light always on??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The check engine light has not been on yet ... just the warning message "engine fault Workshop" This happens in the morning on a cool engine ... by the time i get on the freeway ...(approx 2 miles away) i see the message one last time as i am accelerating on the ramp and thats the last time in the day i see it ..

Also,The "loose" sounding turbo noise could possibly be from parking under a tree that had lots of debris and berries that dropped in to engine compartment??

Might this be a corresponding problem with the warning?

Ok what you will need to have checked is the faults in the ecm because without the faults its hard for me to say there has to be faults in the computer because the light comes on the most common issue especially with the turbo noise you are hearing is a turbo bypass valve going bad . If you are still under warranty bring the vehicle in . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your answers.

Ecm is the engine control module.