jjsledge, VW Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience Master Certified Volkswagen Technician

2001 vw passat: timing mark..1.8t..automatic..a smooth surface but i

Customer Question

i need to locate the timing mark for the trasnmission on a 2001 vw passat 1.8t automatic. the manual shows an imge but ican not seen to located all i see are openings that show a big gear that i could not find the mark anywhere the manual shows a smooth surface but i can not find it
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Do you need the timing marks for the timing belt??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i know where the marks for the timing belt but in the manual it says that there 3 timing marks and one is in the transmission the other 2 are in the timing belt i need to know where is the timing mark on the transmission have you ever seen the mark ????do you have and email so i can email you the picture of the book???

I know the mark but it is too hard to see because the mark is on the torque converter and it lines up in the bell housing just make sure the cam sprocket is lined up on the valve cover mark and make sure the crank is lined up with the cover right above it and you will be ok. I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for my time and knowledge this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so you are telling me to line up only the timing belt well i can't do that because i had move the crank and lined up the timing belt but the car is giving me problemsin a cold start so it could be the timing. can you tell me where i can access to the timing mark on the transmission is it on the top is it in the botton or side because i look and there 2 openings on top one on the side and 3 openings and the botton but non of them have a mark to like line up do you have any picture you can can kind of relate because where the torpque converter is???
Have you lined up the marks on the cam and crank yet ??if you see the marks just lined them up and you will be on top dead center thats it you will be in time as long as cylinder #1 is on top dead center.

Edited by vwtech0405 on 7/11/2010 at 4:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you just tell me if you know where the mark is have you ever done it or not let's not not waist each other's time maybe another mechanic knows.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have done this before but there is no need to use this mark because its too hard to locate you will just need to line up the cam and crank but i will opt out for others to help you out good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you have done it right so where is that sightseeing hole that i'm looking for looking in front of the car isit on the top behing the motor or on the right hand side of the motor or maybe on the botton
Expert:  jjsledge replied 6 years ago.

Hello, lets see if I can help

What is the VIN# XXXXX your vehicle. What repair manual are you using?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
vin is wvwac 63b11 p0485 01 and i am using the
Expert:  jjsledge replied 6 years ago.

ok here is the procedure right from Volkswagen. The alldata information is incorrect the mark they are having you look for is on golf, jetta, beetle not passat.

– Align marking on camshaft sprocket with marking on cylinder head cover.
– Place the toothed belt onto the crankshaft sprocket (observe direction of rotation).
– Install the lower toothed belt guard

- install lower pulley, align mark to belt cover

See pictures graphic

upper picture is cam sprocket lower picture is crank pulley

hopefully this has helped please git accept so i may be paid for my advice . if you require further assistance please let me know

Thanks Jim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if so i started having problems with my passat right after i had the belt replace. my car i having problems in a cold start like after 6 hours of being stared. when is cold my car starts misfiring and the engine would shutter the engine light flashes the code are multiple misfire and then a code for each cylinder and that's after 10 minutes of the car running and shuttering i restart the and the car is fine there is no problem if i start the car for the rest of the day is fine???

Expert:  jjsledge replied 6 years ago.
ok make sure all the coils are pushed down into the cylinder head. make sure the all the ground connections are tight is there any codes for incorrect camshaft allocation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i took the car to the dealer they replace the coils and the spark plugs and the ecu computer and the still the same they wanted more money so i told then no they told me more time and money they wanted 300 more other than the 700 i owned them already.
Expert:  jjsledge replied 6 years ago.

Ok well if there is no cam allocation codes then timing is ok belt is on correctly . what weight oil are you using and are you using synthetic improper weight oil can cause misfires. also make sure the suction jet pump is not clogged and that the throttle valve is clean.fuel pressure will need to be checked to make sure that it is not bleeding off some residual pressure should be maintained in the fuel rail after sitting to make it easier to start if it bleeds off you may get misfires and rough running condition for the first few minutes. please hit accept so i may be paid for answering your original question regarding the timing marks this is not a free site and this is how we get paid for our advice if you would like to discuss other issues with your vehicle please open another question your running condition will require further diagnostics along with some special tools for testing

Thanks for your cooperation with this

jjsledge, VW Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience Master Certified Volkswagen Technician