vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

How do you replace an ignition switch on a 1997 VW Cabrio?

Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Are you trying to replace the electrical or mechanical part of the switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure. I contacted this website a few days ago about a problem I'm having with my 97 VW Cabrio. On a couple of occasions over the last two weeks it wouldn't start. Everything else worked - power windows, radio, etc. But when I turned the key in the ignition nothing happened. It didn't crank over. When I submitted my question, the answer I received was that I probably need to replace the ignition switch. Is there a way to test if it is, in fact, the igntion switch that is the problem? And if so, what needs to be replaced (mechanical or electrical?) and how do I do it?
This is the mechanical part that need to be replaced very common do you have a puller to remove a steering shaft race behind the steering wheel??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I do have a puller.
Ok what you will need to do is remove the center airbag , disconnect the spiral spring, remove the steering when, spiral spring , the remove the race on the steering shaft with the puller then remove the ignition switch housing to be able to get the electrical portion out of the housing it has 2 small set screws that hold it in. I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thanks!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a way to check if it is the ignition switch that is the cause of the problem before I replace it? Thank you.
When this happens just check power at the 1 pin connector on the starter solenoid if there no power there then this is the issue very common . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click accept for my time and knowledge as long as there is no power there at the starter while cranking then you know its the switch.