gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

2000 VW Passat. The door locks will not work with the key fob.

Customer Question

2000 VW Passat. The door locks will not work with the key fob. From time to time the power windows stop working and the car will not start. If I disconnect the battery terminal and reset the brain, everything works again. Any thoughts?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 years ago.
You are going to want to lift the driver side carpet, pull out the black plastic box that is in there, and see if there is corrosion at the terminals for the Comfort module. There are also about 10-12 "heat welds" where wires come together and are only wrapped in cloth tape along the wiring harness under there- if you live in an area where it snows and they salt the roads, that stuff melts off your shoes and gets under there and corrodes the wires. Any moisture or sunroof drains clogging can get water under the carpet and into that box though
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was one wire that had corrosion. I replaced it, however, door locks will not work, even when I use the door lock button on the drivers door. However, when I try to lock the doors with the button on the door, the drivers door locks and unlocks, however all of the other 3 doors locks to not move? Any thoughts?

Check fuse #14- a small fuse, third column from the right and second fuse up. That is the fuse for the comfort module- It sometimes blows due to the dome light switch being broken- but since you can reset it by disconnecting the battery, that seems to indicate a bad connection somewhere along the way.

Where was the corroded wire you found? Inside the comfort module "waterproof box"? Or outside it in the harness?