Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1.8t timing belt job in case i didnt mark my old timing

Customer Question

1.8t timing belt job

in case i didnt mark my old timing belt how can i make sure the belt is in time?

make sure the cam and crank are TDC and install belt?
do i have to align the flywheel as well?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1.8L (AEB) Engine

1. Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place the (hood) lock carrier in the service position. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body And Trim, Service Position, Front Bumper, Hood Lock Carrier.
  3. Remove the engine accessory drive belts. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): General Information And Maintenance, Routing Maintenance And Tune-up.
  4. Using a 5 x 60mm bolt, secure the viscous fan pulley. Using a hex wrench, remove the viscous fan-to-pulley bolts. Remove the viscous fan assembly.
  5. Turn the engine by hand to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the firing stroke for cylinder No. 1.
  6. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

NOTE If reusing the timing belt, mark its rotational direction so it may be installed in its original position.

1. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation to position the No. 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  2. Remove the damper pulley-to-crankshaft bolts and the damper.
  3. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a Torx® Wrench T45, or equivalent, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The Top Dead Center (TDC) alignment marks for the camshaft sprocket

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The timing belt, tensioner and guide roller

To install:

1. Align the camshaft sprocket timing mark with the cylinder head cover mark.
  2. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket with the arrow facing the rotational direction.
  3. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a bolt, secure the damper/belt pulley on the crankshaft.
  5. Align the crankshaft damper/belt pulley with the housing timing mark so that the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of its compression stroke.
  6. Install the timing belt on the camshaft sprocket and belt tensioner.
  7. Using a 2-pin Spanner Matra Tool No. V159 Wrench, or equivalent, lift (turn clockwise) the timing belt tensioner cylinder No. 1 until it is fully extended and tensioner cylinder No. 2 is raised approx. 1mm ( 3 / 8 inch); then, hand-tighten the mounting bolt.
  8. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete rotation in the running direction.
  9. Inspect area 'A' for proper alignment with the upper edge of piston No. 2 and adjust if necessary.

10. Area 'A' - adjustment OK Area 'B' - wear limit Area 'C' - re-adjust and check belt drive including tensioner for wear.

NOTE If the piston edge is located in area 'A', measurement 'D' is 25-29mm ( 31 / 32 -1 1 / 8 inches).

1. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra Tool No. V159 Wrench, or equivalent, and tighten the mounting bolt.
  2. Complete the damper to crankshaft installation.
  3. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft 2 rotations in the direction of engine rotation until the camshaft and crankshaft marks align with their respective reference points.
  4. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  5. Install the drive belts.
  6. The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.
  7. Install the negative battery cable last.
  8. Test drive the vehicle.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the necessary components to gain access to the front of the engine.
  3. Place an open-end wrench on the alternator belt tensioner and rotate it clockwise toward the alternator to release the belt-s tension. Remove the alternator serpentine drive belt and release the tensioner.
    NOTE If necessary to lock the alternator tensioner in position, align the housing holes and insert an Allen wrench into the holes to secure its movement.
  5. Remove the upper timing belt cover.
  6. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation to position the No. 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  7. Remove the damper pulley-to-crankshaft bolts and the damper.
  8. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  9. Using a Torx Wrench T45, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB) 4-Cyl engine

To install:

3. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  7. Using a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench, lift (turn clockwise) the timing belt tensioner cylinder No. 1 until it is fully extended and tensioner cylinder No. 2 is raised approx. 1mm; then, hand-tighten the mounting bolt.
  9. Inspect area -A- for proper alignment with the upper edge of piston No. 2 and adjust if necessary.
    NOTE If the piston edge is located in area -A-, measurement -D- is 0.984-1.142 in. (25-29mm).

Area -A- - adjustment OK Area -B- - wear limit Area -C- - re-adjust and check belt drive including tensioner for wear.
  10. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench and tighten the mounting bolt.
  11. Complete the damper to crankshaft installation.
  12. Using the center bolt, rotate the crankshaft 2 rotations in the direction of engine rotation until the camshaft and crankshaft marks align with their respective reference points.
  13. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  14. Install the drive belts.
  15. Replace the remaining components by reversing the removal procedures.
  16. Install the negative battery cable last.
  17. Test drive the vehicle.

1.8L (Aeb/Atw/Awm/Awv) 4-Cylinder Engines

1. Using a 5 x 60mm bolt, secure the viscous fan pulley. Using a hex wrench, remove the viscous fan-to-pulley bolts. Remove the viscous fan assembly.
  2. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

3. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  4. Using a Torx Wrench T45, loosen the timing belt tensioner, push the tensioner downward and remove the timing belt.

5. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft pulley and camshaft sprocket alignment locations-Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWP/AWV/AWW) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension adjustment- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWV) 4-Cyl engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing belt tension wear limits- Volkswagen 1.8L (AEB/ATW/AWM/AWV) 4-Cyl engine

To install:

3. Install the lower timing belt cover.

1. After adjustment has been verified, secure the tensioner with a 2-pin Spanner Matra V159 Wrench and tighten the mounting bolt.
  4. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  5. Install the drive belts.
  6. Replace the remaining components by reversing the removal procedures.
  8. Test drive the vehicle.

1.8L (Awp/Aww) 4-Cylinder Engines

2. Remove the engine appearance cover and splash shield.
  3. Remove the right side headlight assembly.
  4. Remove the intake pipe between the turbocharger and the charge air cooler.
  5. Place an open-end wrench on the alternator belt tensioner and rotate it clockwise toward the alternator to release the belt-s tension. Remove the alternator serpentine drive belt and release the tensioner.

2. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

1. Use an engine hoist and take the weight off the engine.
  2. Remove the engine mount and body mount bolts and remove the engine mount from the cylinder block.
  3. Remove the damper pulley-to-crankshaft bolts and the damper.
  4. Remove the center and lower timing belt covers.
  5. Place tensioning bolt T10092 into the timing belt tensioner and tension the element so the tensioner piston can be locked with a locking pin.
  6. Remove the timing belt.
  7. turn the crankshaft back slightly so the pistons are not at TDC.

8. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing engine and bolt mounts bolts-1.8L (AWP/AWW) 4-Cyl engine

To install:

3. Install the engine mount and body mount bolts to the cylinder block and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  4. Install the lower timing belt cover and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  5. Using a bolt, secure the damper/belt pulley on the crankshaft.
  7. Install the timing belt on the camshaft sprocket, water pump and belt tensioner.
  8. Remove locking pin and tensioning tool from the belt tensioner.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete rotation in the running direction.
  10. Check that the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks are still aligned.
  11. Install the crankshaft pulley bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  12. Install the center timing belt cover and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  14. Install the drive belts.
  17. Test drive the vehicle.