Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2002 VW Beetle TDI I can clearly see where fuel is leaking

Customer Question

2002 VW Beetle TDI

I can clearly see where fuel is leaking out of the injection pump. It seems straight forward to remove the four screws that hold the top piece to the pump, remove the old seal, and install a new seal from the kit purchased from the website shown below. Problem is, everybody warns/tells me that working VW is a nightmare and always a headache. The car runs now fine except for the large amount of diesel that leaks from this spot. What are the ‘gotchas’ that I’m not aware of? Will the fuel system need to be ‘bled’ of air after I put the top back on the pump? And does that require a special tool that can only be purchased by VW dealerships? I’m afraid to make the situation worse.

I’m not planning to rebuild the pump. I just want to stop the leak of diesel fuel from between these two machine pieces of the pump. Does this kit seem to be the right kit for this repair? What would be alternative approach to repairing this leak.

Thanks for your input.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
I think working on VWs is much easier than many other cars (like Ford yuck).

Anyways you should be able to replace that seal fairly easier.

You will need to bleed the pump after that but all you do is crack the lines open at the cylinder head on top of the injectors and have a friend crank the engine over. Fuel will start spurting from the lines and the engine will sound like it's trying to fire up and close them one by one and it'll start. No special tools necessary unless you remove the injector pump. And even then if you know how to do it the right way you don't even need the timing belt tool set.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good news, then. Thanks for the answer. And does the seal kit from the website I mention seem like it will be the right part?
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure about that, I don't mess around with injection pumps for customers I send them off for rebuild to a company in Portland.

I'd contact these guys and they'll get you the right kit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay, thanks for the tip.