vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2002 VW Passat: indicator..Oil Pressure..Audi..pink coolant

I have a 2002 VW Passat, 2.8L VG engine. Last week it began to overheat and the indicator on my dash said "STOP Check Coolant" And then within a few minutes it said "STOP Oil Pressure" So I pulled over, put in the VW/Audi recommended pink coolant and then proceeded to start the car again. When I started the car a few minutes after that, the engine temp went to the highest reading and I decided to turn the car off and call my mechanic. Fast forward to a week later, the hose had been off that leads to coolant reservoir, they tightened it with a clamp, also they suggested the water housing system and possibly the water pump. Now after flushing the system and checking for leaks, the final diagnosis is the oil pump, and they are quoting me $450 to repair it. Does this sound about right?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Have they verified the oil pressure is low??? also does the vehicle still overheat??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No they have not said if the oil pressure is still low. I can't confirm it is still overheating.
The oil pumps are not very common on the v6 model passat what is common is that the oil pick tube for the oil pump is clogged you will still need to remove the oil pan to get to the pick up tube . Have them inspect the pick up tube and verify that the oil pressure is low but its not very common for the oil pump to go bad. Now on the overheating issue water pumps are common but if the vehicle if not overheating at the moment then more then likely its not it because when they go bad they will always cause the vehicle to overheat. I hope this helps.
Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I read that in most cases the oil pump lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle. Now if I was in a one-vehicle side impact accident in January, would this have effected the oil pump? And if so, I had the oil pan replaced in March because it was leaking after hitting a pot hole a few weeks following the accident. Now would this be related to the overheating and coolant tube leak that I had last week? Should I trust that my oil pump definitely needs to be replaced if my car is not overheating?
The oil pan being hit is not related to the coolant issue but they need to make sure that when you hit the pot hole you did not damage the oil pump screen like mentioned before . The oil pump and the vehicle overheating are 2 total different issue the oil pump is related to your oil pressure light . I hope all this info has helped.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now I go to the dealer and he says the estimate is now $625 and may go up after he takes the car apart and potentially finds any other issues that could effect the proper running of the oil pump. He says that my car has absolutely no oil pressure and it cannot be driven. So should I try to find a cheaper quote or is this a reasonable estimate? Basically do I have any wiggle room at all...?
Does the estimate include pats and labor for the oil pump??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, it does
That is not a bad price because the labor on the oil pump on the v6 is not easy because you have to remove the upper part of the oil pan wich is not too easy because its a 2 piece oil pan and you know the dealer knows what its doing its your safest bet. I hope all the info i have given you on this issue has helped you out the only way i get compensated for helping you out is by you clicking accept for my time and knowledge thanks!!!