Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

How do you remove the center console/lower dashboard covers

Customer Question

How do you remove the center console/lower dashboard covers without doing any damage for purposes of diagnosing a faulty fan switch and /or wiring?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

i would think you may be right about the switch

please print the below info

thanks

Volkswagen Cars 2000-05

Console

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Unscrew the shift knob from the shaft

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Detach the cup holder from the console

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the fasteners as shown

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the decorative screw covers to gain access to the attaching screws on the sides of the console

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Location of the lower console mounting screws

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Detach the parking brake button end cap

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the console from the vehicle by sliding it over the parking brake lever as shown

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with SRS, wrap the cable in insulated tape, then wait at least 60 seconds before continuing to allow the SRS system time to disable.

CAUTION If equipped with SRS, be careful not to let the console bump against the SRS-ECU during removal and installation.

1. If equipped, remove the rear floor console.
  2. If necessary, remove the ashtray and cup holder assemblies.
  3. If equipped, remove the carpet inserts from the floor console assembly.
  4. On manual transaxle equipped models, remove the manual transaxle shifter knob.
  5. On some models, remove the transaxle shift lever trim plate.
  6. Remove the screw plugs in the side covers. Remove the retainer screws and the side covers from the vehicle.
  7. Remove the front mounting screw cover from the floor console.
  8. Label and detach the electrical wire harness connections for the floor console.
  9. Remove the retaining screws and the floor console from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Install the floor console in position in the vehicle and secure with the retaining screws.
  2. The installation is the reverse of removal.

Front Section

1. First, remove the rear section of the center console, as described in this section.
  2. On Audi models, remove the radio/cassette unit. Also, pull the knobs from the heater controls and remove the 4 securing screws at the corners of the radio opening and release the console trim panel from its retaining clips.
  3. Then, remove the plastic plugs from the front lower edges of the console and remove the securing nuts beneath.
  4. On models with manual transaxles, unclip the shift lever cover, then unscrew shift knob, together with cover and remove from the top.
  5. Remove the center console from instrument panel and remove from the top of gearshift lever.
  6. On models with automatic transaxles, unclip the trim/gear indicator panel. Lift it over the gearshift lever and remove it from the console.
  7. Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, the remove the console from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Rear Section

1. With the handbrake lever applied, remove the securing pin at the base of the parking brake grip and pull the lever grip free. Withdraw the trim from the lever.
  2. Remove the plastic plugs from the lower edges at the front of the console and remove the securing screws beneath the plugs.
  3. Pull the cup holder out at the rear of the console, and then remove the ashtray and the lock nuts at the base of the ashtray recess.

NOTE The lock nuts are installed under the ashtray in vehicles with center armrest only.

1. Place the center armrest in the upright position, then remove the rubber mat and unscrew the nut securing the center of the rear console.
  2. Where applicable, release the diagnostic connector from its position adjacent to the ashtray.
  3. Partially withdraw the console, disconnect the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring, then remove the console by lifting it from the rear up and over the brake lever.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Ensure that the ashtray/cigar lighter wiring is reconnected and that the diagnostic connector is installed in the correct position.

FIG : Exploded view of knee bar

image

FIG : Exploded view of the instrument pannel pad

image

FIG : Exploded view of the instrument panel, crossmember and related components-New Beetle

image

Remove the upper steering column cover screws and the cover. Remove the lower steering column cover screws, release the steering wheel height adjustment and remove the lower steering column switch trim. Remove the combination switch-to-steering column bolt, disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the combination switch. At the driver-s side, remove the lower instrument panel cover screws and the cover. At the passenger-s side of instrument panel, remove the side cover. At the center of the instrument panel, remove both switch assembly covers, the 4 switch assembly-to-panel screws and the switch assembly. Remove the 4 heater/ventilator control unit-to-instrument panel screws and move the control unit under the instrument panel with the cables attached. Remove the 6 glove box-to-instrument panel screws, disconnect the glove box light connector and remove the glove box. At the driver-s side, remove the instrument panel-s end cover and remove the 2 light switch screws. Rotate the light switch knob to 0 , press the knob inward, rotate it clockwise; then, pull the switch outward and disconnect the electrical connector. Unclip the illumination control switch and disconnect the electrical connector. At the steering column, remove the instrument panel trim-to-instrument panel screws and the trim. Remove the knee bar-to-instrument panel screws and the knee bar. Slide the center instrument panel cover forward out of the retainer and remove it; then, remove the 3 instrument panel-to-chassis screws. At the upper center of the instrument panel, lift both (left and right) plenum panel covers from the front and rear edge clips; then, move the covers toward the center and out of the A-pillar retainers. Unclip and remove the instrument cluster trim. Remove the 2 instrument cluster-to-instrument panel screws, disconnect the multi-pin electrical connector and remove the instrument cluster. Slide the Radio Release tool No. 3344 into the slots at both sides of the radio until they engage; then, pull the radio out of the instrument panel and disconnect the electrical connectors.

If not equipped with a radio, remove the center instrument panel-s trim cover. Remove the 2 center instrument panel-to-instrument panel screws and the center panel. At the center of the instrument panel, remove the air duct. At the glove box location, remove the 2 frame-to-instrument panel screws and the frame. Remove the instrument panel-to-chassis screws and the instrument panel from the crossmember.

• Loosen the instrument panel crossmember-to-chassis bolts and lift the crossmember upward.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Releasing the driver-s side air bag-New Beetle

• To install:

1. Lower the crossmember, install the instrument panel crossmember-to-chassis bolts and torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    2. Install the instrument panel by performing the following procedure:

Install the instrument panel and the instrument panel-to-chassis screws. At the glove box location, install the frame and the frame-to-instrument panel screws. At the center of the instrument panel, install the air duct. Install the center instrument panel and the 2 center panel-to-instrument panel screws. If not equipped with a radio, install the center instrument panel-s trim cover. Connect the electrical connectors and slide the radio into the instrument panel. Install the instrument cluster, connect the multi-pin electrical connector and install the 2 instrument cluster-to-instrument panel screws. Install the instrument cluster trim. Install both (left and right) plenum panel covers. Install the 3 instrument panel-to-chassis screws and the center instrument panel cover. Install the knee bar and the knee bar-to-instrument panel screws. At the steering column, install the instrument panel trim and the trim-to-instrument panel screws. Connect the electrical connector and install the illumination control switch. Connect the light switch electrical connector and install the switch. At the driver-s side, install the 2 light switch screws and the instrument panel-s end cover. Install the glove box, connect the glove box light connector and install the 6 glove box-to-instrument panel screws. Install the heater/ventilator control unit and the 4 heater/ventilator control unit-to-instrument panel screws. At the center of the instrument panel, install the switch assembly, the 4 switch assembly-to-panel screws and both switch assembly covers. At the passenger-s side of instrument panel, install the side cover. At the driver-s side, install the lower instrument panel cover and the cover screws. Install the combination switch, connect the electrical connectors and install the combination switch-to-steering column bolt. Install the lower steering column switch trim and the lower steering column cover screws. Install the upper steering column cover and the cover screws.
    3. Install the steering wheel by performing the following procedure:

Install the steering wheel to the steering column. Install the new steering wheel-to-steering column bolt and torque it to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm). Connect the horn-s electrical connector.
    4. Connect the electrical connector and install the air bag.
    5. Connect the negative battery cable.

• Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I have removed the cover for the warning light switch and associated screws for the upper panel.
    How do you remove the radio cover without damaging it?
    Once the radio cover is removed I assume that there are screws to be removed behind it. Are ther any other screws that need to be removed to remove the cover over the fan switch assembly before it can be removed without damaging it?

the cover should just pop off with a pry with a small screw driver..take your time..

thanks

New Beetle

1. Remove the center air outlet console.
    2. Remove mounting screws - arrows - .
    3. Lift out controls with cables from the instrument panel in the direction shown.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lift out the controls with cables from the instrument panel in the direction of the arrow

4. Detach the cables from the control panel.
    5. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    6. With the control panel removed, check the function of heating and ventilation cables as follows:
      1. Move the cables in and out several times.
      2. Replace any damaged or stiff cables.

To install:

NOTE The cable sleeves are color coded. The footwell/defrost flap cable is green, The central flap cable is yellow and the temperature flap cable is beige. All flaps must audibly move onto stops when turning the controls. Always check the cables before installing. Replace any tight or damaged cables.

1. Attach the cable to the actuating arm as shown.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Attach the cable (1) to the actuating arm as shown (arrow)

2. Press cable for footwell/defrost, cable for temperature flap and cable for central flap into the retainer until it engages.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Press the cable for footwell/defrost, cable for temperature flap and cable for central flap(1) into the retainer (2) until it engages.

3. Check and adjust cables, as outlined under the Control Cable Procedure.
    4. Attach the electrical connector
    5. Fit the controls into instrument panel opening and install mounting screws.
    6. Install the center air outlet console.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    2. Insert the radio removal tool into the slots on the sides of the radio.
    3. Push the removal tools all the way in until they click and lock in.
    4. Now pull the radio out of the dashboard.
    5. Remove all wiring from the rear of the radio. Do not forget to remove the radio antenna lead.
    6. Remove the tools from the slots in the sides of the radio.
    7. Installation is the reverse of removal.

FIG :

image

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. A special tool is necessary to remove the radio from Audi and Passat models. The tool required varies, based on year, model and radio type

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Observe how the tool disengages the spring clip

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Once the radio has been disengaged from the dash, pull the unit out

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. To remove the radio antenna simply twist slightly while pulling

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The tab on the back of the unit slides into the-

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. -slotted radio brace at the rear of the dash

Click image to see an enlarged view