vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2001 passat p0300 random misfire and cyl 2-3-4 misfire

Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Have you checked the coils??? do you have the spark control module located o top of the air box??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure i will look for scm, 3 cyl misfirein at the same is odd to me
Is cylinder # XXXXX a hard misfire??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i meant cyl 2 3 and 4 misfireing at the same time seamed odd and all 4 cylinders have there own coils
Please let me know if you have a spark control module on top of the air box
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will look for the module later and let u know thanks
your welcome
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No module located on top of air box just a vaccum solenoid
next step will be to check injectors and compression have you dont this yet??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the car seems to be ok when the rpm's are above 2500, when it is idling it is very rough and then i have to feather the gas pedal to get it back up to 2500.
Have you checked the injectors yet??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not yet what is the test procedure please sorry im a mopar man and not very firmilar with volks this is my friends car.
You will need to make sure those injectors on that cylinder have power going to them they are pulse width modulated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry my lunch break was over, I have new codes P0118-engine collant temp ckt high input, P0130 o2s ckt malfuntion 1/1 I just ran the car down the road it seems ok if your keep it at higher rpms it also still has p0300 random misfire, p0301, p0302, p0303,

po304

Does the vehicle ever misfire while driving??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does you always have to have your foot on the gas and if you dont you have to feather the pedal to get it to smooth out. It will not stay steady at any speed without playing with the gas pedal
Unplug the ect sensor and see if the vehicle runs better since you have a fault for it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the cts located I dont see anything for a sensor in the coolant system I have not got under the car to look yet though
The coolant temp sensor is located on the back of the cylinder head on the coolant flange.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks i will look at it in the morning if it runs better is it a bad sensor
Correct because you have a fault for it
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no change with sesor unplugged
Does you scan tool tell you the fuel trim levels for the mass air flow sensor at idle and at part throttle ?? if so can i please know them thanks