Amedee
Amedee, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 BEETLE: CRANKS..RUN FINE FOR DAYS, MONTHS THEN OUT..FINE.

Customer Question

2001 BEETLE 2.0 CRANKS OVER WILL NOT START. WILL RUN FINE FOR DAYS, MONTHS THEN OUT OF THE BLUE WILL NOT START. WAIT FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR AND THEN IT WILL START UP FINE.
Category: VW
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any reason why it will start after letting it sit for about an hour before cranking over again? This problem seams to happen when there is a change in weather rain to warm or vice versa. The check engine light is on and AutoZone's code reader came back with a dealer code they could not read.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
YUP! It could be because of a bad crankshaft position sensor or even a bad fuel pump or any fuel delivery concern.