gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

change the headlight bulbs on a 2008 VW new Beetle Convertible

How do you change the headlight bulbs on a 2008 VW new Beetle Convertible
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 7 years ago.

You will need a quarter inch drive ratchet with a long extension, and a 5mm socket.

If you open the hood and look down at the inner side of the headlight bucket, you will see the hex shaft that the socket fits onto, as well as a diagram at the base of it that tells which direction to turn it to "lock" or "unlock" the headlight. I find that pushing against the lens with my hip while I am turning releases tension on the locking mechanism and allows it to unlock easier. Once you turn it and it pops out about a half inch, you will need to look down behind the back of the headlight- there is a flat metal tab back there. Push it down with a long rod and push on the backside of the headlight to pop it out. make sure you are standing in front of the headlight to keep it from popping out too far, as there is nothing holding it at this point to keep it from falling out onto the ground.

When you go to re-install it, turn the locking shaft so that the "bulge" in the rod that locks the bucket in place is facing UP. You may also want to spray some silicone on the bottom of the headlight bucket to allow that lock to slide easier when you lock it. And again, lean on it with your hip to tension it to allow the lock to seat easier.