Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

WHAT IS THE FIRING ORDER ON A 1974 VW BUG AIR COOLED

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE FIRING ORDER ON A 1974 VW BUG AIR COOLED ENGINE?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
The firing order is 1-3-4-2 and looking down at the distributor cap number one is in the 1 o clock position with wire three going in the next spot clockwise etc.

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THIS ENGINE IS BEING BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP. THE DIST. GEAR HAS TO BE PROPERLY PLACED IN. ONE END IS GEARED WHILE THE OTHER END HAS A ENGAUGEMENT TAB FOR THE DIST. BODY. HOW IS THIS PROPERLY PLACED INTO THE ENGINE CASE HALF? THEN I GO TO FIRING ORDER 1-3-4-2.
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
I don't have the repair manual at home so I can't describe it in detail. You need shims under that gear I will tell you that for now so hopefully you have that. Basically you (with the distributor and everything removed). Line the engine up at TDC, then you take the cap off the distributor and put it at number 1 position. Put the gear under the distributor to line it up, then you know it's position and you can install it in the case.

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YOU SAIS TO LINE UP THE ENGINE TO TDC. DO YOU MEAN LINE UP NUMBER ONE CYLINDER TO TDC?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WAITING FOR ANSWER-
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
There is a mark on the pully to line it up at TDC number one yes that's what that always refers to.

Danny