Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

1973 super beetle: alignment..the front end is to high

I have a 1973 super beetle getting an alignment done. The alignment shop is having problems getting the alignment correct. Seems the front end is to high. Can the front end be lowered or does the back have to come up?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
That's how superbeetles sit usually, that's also how busses sit. It's pretty normal for them to do that, the torsion bars in the rear sag. The only way to lower the front would be to get drop spindles or lowering springs. Or you can raise the rear.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The rear end is sagging. Check on another super beetle and the front is higher than the rear but on mine the front is higher yet and the rear end is lower. To raise the rear end the torsion bars will have to be adjusted. Will the rear fenders have to be removed to adjust the torsion bars on the inside. Will doing this affect the camber of the rear suspension.
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
The fenders don't have to come off no. It technically will affect the camber slightly but not as much as an earlier swing axle Beetle. I don't know if I'd raise it in the rear honestly. There are specs on what the rideheight should be in the factory repair manual I think if you have one. I'd rather lower the front though.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just replaced the front struts and springs. Would you suggest lower spindles or replacing the struts and springs with a lowering set.
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
I would get lowering spindles it normally rides better that way. Your front end will be a little bit lower than the rear but it'll be fine.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner