vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

How to change a timing belt on a 2002 diesel jetta

how to change a timing belt on a 2002 diesel jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Have you got the correct special tools yet??( cam tool,injection pump pin)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i have the tools
Ok the first thing you will need to do is put the vehicle and top dead center wich requires you to put in the cam tool holder here are pictures on how everything should line up when the vehicle is in top dead center.There will also be a mark on the crank pulley that will line up to the cover right above the crank pulley.

graphic

graphic

Injection pump pin. After all this has been lined up remove the covers,coolant reservoir, crank pulley, motor mount wich you will need to support the engine before removal then after you have access to all this remove the belt by loosening the tensioner and remove the belt install the new belt in same order and rotation and the adjust the tensioner and then just reinstall everything and turn it over by hand first to make sure everything lines up.Heres the way the tensioner goes. I hope this helps.Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i get it to top dad center does the hole for the injection pin line up when its at top dead center do the bolts need to be torqued and if so what are the torque specks do you have a picture with the parts named
Yes the hole does line up when at top dead center on i injection pump just line everything up there are no torque specs just make sure its tight this is not a very easy timing belt make sure everything is done correctly because if done wrong you will bend valves and damage the engine. I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for all the help given on this issue thanks!!