chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader

2000 volkswagen: beetle..The engine oil pressure light came..oil level

Model: 2000 volkswagen new beetle with 107,000 miles in NY State. Problem: The engine oil pressure light came on briefly one time during a turn. Engine oil level is fine. The dipstick, though, doesn't seem to "snap" into place when pushing it back into engine. This is the report from family member who is on the road. I don't have car in front of me. Is it safe to drive? Thank you.
1.8 turbo engine has a problem with oil sludge that will clog the pick up tube for the oil pump. If the light is going on and going off it would seem that your problem is just beginning. I would not drive the car very far or for long periods of time. As far as the dipstick there is a plastic tube that the stick goes into which gets brittle over time and breaks so that is probably why the stick does not snap into place. You should probably have the car looked at and the oil pressure checked.