vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

My 2000 jetta tdi turbo does not work. What are the most common

My 2000 jetta tdi turbo does not work. What are the most common problem with these motors?

Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Does the vehicle feel very sluggish ?? especially up a hill?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes it has a great loss of power. Other than that I did get a exhaust smell in the cabin. Changed the cat which appeared to be plugged. This helped a little but I still get no response from the turbo.

Ok try to unplug the mass air flow meter and take it for a test drive and let me know if the power comes back ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Some power comes back. Still feels like the turbo is not kicking in.
Ok heres what the possibilities are you may have a faulty mass air flow sensor because we have seen so many issues with the mass air flow sensor causing the vehicle feel like there is not boost. Other possibilities are a carbon ed up intake manifold what you can do is remove the intake hose that goes to the egr valve and open the valve by hand and look in the intake manifold and see how much carbon built up you have in the intake if it has a lot then you will need to remove the intake and the egr cooler and clean them both this will take away from the air flow in the engine and cause low boost, and the last issue is a faulty turbo wich is not too common but i do see them go bad from time to time if everything checks out and you have no faults in the ecm then you could be looking at a issue with a faulty turbo . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is some carbon in the intake hose. Could the problem be with the egr not functioning? How do you test this? It looks like a vacuum diaphram may be leaking?
Is there any carbon build up in the egr valve and inside the intake itself not the hose?