chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader

Can I reset the immobilizer on my 2000 Jetta The keyless remote

Customer Question

Can I reset the immobilizer on my 2000 Jetta? The keyless remote hasn't worked for over a year and we've been using the valet key to avoid purchasing an expensive replacement. When I took the car in for tires yesterday, they mistakenly used the broken key a few times unsuccessfully, then called me. I told them to use the valet. However, that isn't working now. What do I do? The valet key worked yesterday...
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.
You could try to do what is called a capacitive discharge. You have to remove the battery cables from the battery and while they are still disconnected hold them together for a few seconds. Then reconnect the battery. You may have to cycle the ignition a few times to get the immobilizer to recognize the valet key again. If this does not work then you are probably going to have to tow it to a dealer and get the keys reprogrammed.