Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

where is the crankshaft position sensor on a 2004 volkswagen

Customer Question

where is the crankshaft position sensor on a 2004 volkswagen passat w8?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Please give me the code # XXXXX are getting ? I think i know what exactly is wrong with the vehicle , and also what have you done so far??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
p0016 and replaced the cam shaft position sensor. Coils were replaced by the dealership. There is no spark.
Welcome to just answer!

This is very common and very expensive repair with the w8 engine.The issue with these faults is because the cam adjuster/housing are faulty in bank #1(passenger side) the whole cam adjuster will need to be replaced . I stated this is a big job because the complete engine will need to be removed to have this job done because there is no room to work on the back side of the head where the adjusters are located . The chain of the cam will need to be removed to do this job i only recommend this job be done by a CERTIFIED VW TECHNICIAN /SHOP knowledge of the system and how it works is needed to do this job . I hope this helps sorry for the bad news.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If it was the cam adjuster, wouldn't the code be p0011? After we changed the cam shaft pos sensor, the car was working. We drove it for a week. One morning, it just wouldn't start. The same code was given, p0016

The reason the car will not start is more then likely because the vehicle is out of cam timing the cam adjuster is one whole unit like stated above this is a VERY common issue with the W8 engine we get a couple codes with this issue here are some p0011,p0012,p0013,p0014,p0015,p0016,p0017,p0018,p0019 all these faults would be related to the issue described it just depends if its bank #1 or bank #2 look at the picture below this is how big of a job this is .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, thank you for your time. But what I was really looking for was the location of the crank shaft position sensor since I have the part in my hand. I'm not really sure the car's timing would just lose itself over night after i drove it, and then not even start the next day. I'd really like to try replacing this part before i go drop 8 grand in repairs at the dealership when the car's only worth $15,000. I'm still gonna pay you tho. No worries there..
Hold on and i will try to find you a picture of the location
Can you please provide me your vin #
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, working on it. sorry. I'll hurry. wvwkk 63bo4p20 2272

ok i could not get a great picture of the sensor but i hope this helps.

After removing the inatke hose just follow the harness connector to make it easier to find it.

Remove intake air hose between Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and throttle valve control module.

Disconnect 3-pin connector from Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28-.

Edited by vwtech0405 on 3/1/2010 at 4:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok still not getting it. can you give some reference point? like what is near it

Its on the engine block under the intake hose between the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

really sorry to keep making you work. I can see cam position sensors and a coolant hose. and the plugs for the cam adjusters but still not seeing it

Its hard for me to describe because i don't have the vehicle in front of me its mounted on the block but theres not much room in that engine give me a minute to try to look for a better picture because this is the only one i could find if i don't find one i will out out so another expert can try to help you out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

any luck?

Sorry no luck i will opt out of this question hopefully another expert can help you out and get you a picture i just cant find a good one . Dont respond that way your question stays on the board.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 years ago.

hello there !!

the crank sensor is located on the bell housing of the transmission drivers side!!

if you look at the cv shaft on the left side where it bolts to the transmission about 10 o clock position move towards the bell housing !!

that picture above of the sensor is the correct picture of it but very hard to see!!!

hopefully the explanation helps!!