Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

I have a 2002 VW Jetta w/1.8turbo with code P1296 air & fuel

I have a 2002 VW Jetta w/1.8turbo with code P1296 air & fuel metering.I replaced coolant temp sensor with no avail.Also, noticed rubber 3way hose that connects to air box rubberboot is cracked,dont know if thats throwing the code.Customer anxious for repair,has vehicle sold if i can remedy problem.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.

Firstly replace the 3 way hose that could create a vacuum leak. Secondly you really need to try to get the fuel trims from the engine computer. It may be a bad maf sensor. So replace the hose, clear faults and drive it a little. Check for vacuum leaks, and then if that doesn't work replace the MAF.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok,but do you think that hose will set off that code or do u firmly beleive its the MAF?I dont want an unsatisefied customer.Or would u replace both parts? Also idle fluctuates if that helps.I dont mind paying 25.00 dollars for the proper diag.Want my customers to be satisfied .
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Well you need to get me fuel trims then from your scan tool and I can tell you for sure. That hose being broken is DEFINITELY a vacuum leak, your sucking unmetered air into the engine. Fix that, clear codes, then drive it 10 miles and read fuel trims for me. IF they're something wierd like -4% and 10% then it's the maf.