vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

vw 2003 passat, leaks coolant significantly when the vehicle

Customer Question

vw 2003 passat, leaks coolant significantly when the vehicle is at rest. upon inspection, the system appears to keep pressure when i remove the expansion tank cap, but the tank itself has no coolant which triggars the low coolant warning. i examined the radiator, hoses, watre pump, and found absolutly nothing. when i went underneayh the vehicle, after i removed the cover, while the vehicle is running there is no leak, but when i shut it off there is a slow but steady leak coming from the front of the engine over the oil pan.i'm at a loss as to were else to look if it appears as if the leak is draining from the front. someone else told me about the flange. i'm a certified diesel tech please help me because gasoline engines are a different language to me!
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

More then likely you have a issue with the water pump leaking . I f you remove the timing belt covers from above you will be able to see the coolant leaking with a mirror this issue is very common and you will need to put the vehicle in service mode wich is putting the front of the vehicle forward to have access to remove the timing belt and replace the water pump . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice thanks !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you say to put the vehicle in service mode by putting the vehicle forward what exactly does that mean
There is no room to work on the water pump do what you need to do is remove the front bumper and remove 4 bolts on each side that holds the core support to the front support after removing these bolts you will be able pull the front end foward to give you room to work . I hope this helps .

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more question please; about how long would the labor take to complete?
About 5 hours
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would it be better to also change the timming belt as well and would i have to time the engine if i decide to change the belt?
Yes it would be a great idea to change the timing belt when you do this job and yes the engine will need to be timed when the belt is done you will need 2 special tools a cam bar and a crank pin to put the vehicle time . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for all the advice given to you today thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the coolant from the assumed water pump leak, leaking down into the base pan thereby causing oil and water to mix or is there some sort of seal/ gasket that prevents this from happening?
is the oil mixing with the coolant ? you never mentioned this!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
like i said before, i'm not a gasoline expert, but if the water pump is ran of the timming belt i'm asuming that the water pump leak is internal as well and therefore the timmimg belt if it is internal has oil to lubricate it. if that is the case, and the timmimg belt is oil lubricated shouldn't the water from the pump and the oil from the timmimg belt mix? please forgave my ignorance if i don't understand.
No the timing belt is not internal and it is not lubricated it is not like a chain its a actual belt.If the water pump is leaking it is because the seal is bad and will not leak into the oil its all external and just bolts on to the block.
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much for your kindness and patience. if you ever need help with a diesel engine be it cat, international, volvo, freightliner, mack , mitsubishi fuso, please don't hesitate to buzz.
No problem have a great night thanks!