vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

My daughters 2002 VW Jetta is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd

My daughter's 2002 VW Jetta is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd (4200 rpm) and won't shift into 4th. I had a diagnostic run and it showed P0722, output speed missing signal. Where is this sensor located and will changing it possibly fix the problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

This fault is related to the vehicle speed sensor located on top of the transmission housing . Here is a picture to help you locate the sensor . It is located under the transmission mount.

graphic

I hope this helps. Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Will this type of sensor failure cause erratic shift patterns? If changing the sensor doesn't fix the problem, what is step 2?
This sensor can cause issues like this . If the sensor does not fix the issue then you will need to remove the transmission pan and look for signs on metal shavings in fluid if theres metal in the fluid then thats not a good sign it could possibly be internal pieces from the trans and more likely need a new trans . If theres not metal found then you will need to remove the valve body and do a leakage test on the trans clutches but this will need to be done by a vw repair shop because they have the special tools to do this if everything checks out its usually just a valve body that will need to be replaced . I hope this helps.Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing, what should a good sensor reading be? Volts or OHMs?

• Measure sensor resistance between terminals 1 + 2 at connector to sensor.

Specified value: 800 to 900 Ohms

• Check sensor for short circuit between terminals 2 + 3 and 1 + 3.
Specified value: Infinite Ohms
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified