vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

VW golf tdi: I need to replace turbo

I need to replace turbo on my VW golf tdi 2005 according to mechanic. He said it'd cost around 2,500. Is this good deal or no?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
What is wrong with the turbo and is this parts and labor??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure, but thing it is not working as the engine light is on and it does not have the umpf of a turbo like it used to. I do not know exact problem, he just said it needs to be replaced and it will cost around $2,500. Is this an exorbitant amount? Does this happen often to turbos?
Ok let me have your vin# XXXXX you located in the U.S. ? because the turbo has power train warranty you may still be under warranty it all depends on your in service date.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't have it right now but will find out ASAP. I bought the car used in winter 2008 from Autobarn VW in Evanston.

I know exactly where that is at i am located in the Midwest also just let know the vin# XXXXX i will be able to tell you if it is still covered , also do you know if the car is a certified vehicle since you bought it at a dealer ?? is the car at a dealer for repairs??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, got it: 9BWFR61J754030550. It is a certified used car. Thanks!
If the vehicle is a certified used car it is still covered under warranty take it back to the place you bought it at if its a faulty turbo it is covered under warranty since its a certified used car they have to inspect the vehicle and make sure its a turbo issue . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for all the advice given thanks!