vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2006 VW Passat: front doors will not open from outside..doors open

2006 VW Passat - front doors will not open from outside, but will open from the inside. Have used emergency key to no avail. Back doors open okay from outside. Can you advise me what may have gone wrong (passenger door stopped opening first, then driver door). Do I need any spares/special tools to correct the problem?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!

We have had this issue a lot of late . How long after the passenger side stopped working did the drivers door do the same?? Is it cold in your area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Drivers door stopped opening approximately 2 weeks later. It has been cold, but not as severe as the snow temperatures a few weeks.
Ok the common issue we have seen is the door lock actuator in the door these are very common to stick in the cold weather you will no need special tool to replace the latch the only thing you will need that's special is a t20 torx bit to remove the interior door panel . When you go to replace it Aldo take a look at the cable that attaches the door latch to the exterior door handle make sure it's not kinked I hope this helps . Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tomorrow I will take the interior door panel off and lubricate the lock actuator and if I find it works I will reply to say whether or not it was working with lubrication or I will ask another question - is there a further charge for this?
No further charge but I believe the lubricating the door lock won't work we have tried this before good luck .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe I have to remove the window assembly carriage and the door inner panel before I can get to the lock actuator. Is it advisable, before I strip all these parts down, to get 2 new lock actuators?

You will need to remove both the inner panel and the window regulator .
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified