Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with experience in VW/Audi specialty shop

2009 Jetta oil change, oil filter location.

Category: VW
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

The 2.5L uses a canister type filter on the front of the engine facing the radiator, visible from below.

The housing faces downward and has a tethered cap on it. Unscrew the tethered cap, then using your finger (if engine is cold) or a screwdriver push the nipple behind the cap in and to the side. This will drain the oil from the canister.

Once drained, re-center the nipple, and unscrew the entire housing using either a strap wrench or a 36mm socket.

Be sure to replace the O-rings on the housing before installation.

The oil drain is the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the oil pan.

Below are images of the filter housing to aid in locating it.

The hose labeled T40057 is the VW tool for draining the oil, but is not necessary; just depress the nipple to relieve the oil.

Refilling of oil requires 4.6L, or 4.9 quarts including filter change. As always check your dipstick after filling to be sure your fill level is accurate.

Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Edit to add:

I mistyped above, the 09 no longer has the 36mm nut on the canister, and you will need to either use a strap wrench or a fluted filter cup to remove the canister; the size you want is 14 flutes 74-76mm cup.

Sorry for the confusion above.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very good info. I will let you know how I make out.
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Sounds good; As I said before, be sure to check your oil fill level when you are done.... there is some contradicting information regarding the capacity on the newer 2.5L engine... some manuals will say the 4.9qt, others 6.3qt.... obviously start with the smaller amount first so if yours is the lesser you will not have to drain off any oil :)

If you have any problems let me know, I'd be glad to further assist if necessary.