Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

I have a vw 04 jetta gli 1.8 turbo Replacing timing belt. I

I have a vw 04 jetta gli 1.8 turbo Replacing timing belt. I purchase complete kit. water pump is on, tension pulleys are on timing marks are coorect but cant install timing belt. Tensioner fully colaspted. I am routing belt the wrong way?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Cml,

1.8t timing belts are notoriously tight. I think you are doing it right, it sometimes takes two people to pull the belt onto the cam gear which is the last thibg you slide the belt onto.

Danny
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do i prent crank gear from moving when pully on the belt? My question is how is the timing belt router during installation? Should I install belt first then install tensions last which have the pin in place? Should I off site crank gear?
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Do NOT remove the crank gear it's one time use. Put all the gears and pullys on and leave them on. The crank will move. The way I do it is to mark the belt with paint. So put the belt on, rotate the engine around twice clockwise to line the crank mark back up (you need to put the lower cover and pully on first) and then if the camshaft is off, mark the tooth on the belt that lines up with the mark on the valve cover. Then you can just slide the belt off and move the cam gear so the mark on the gear is now where the paint mark is.

Danny

Edited by Danny on 1/22/2010 at 5:50 PM EST
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Here's the belt routing.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1910water_pump.JPG
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What happens if I remove crak gear do I have to replace with new one?
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
DO NOT remove the crank gear it isn't going to help. The bolt is one time use and you don't even have a torque wrench capable of reading that high. Unless you want to destroy your motor and pay $4000 to have yours rebuilt or get a new one leave it alone. There is NO reason to remove the crank gear ok. It is not going to make this any easier.