vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

2001 vw passat: 1.8T..120k got the low oil preasure

i have a 2001 vw passat 1.8T at 120k got the low oil preasure. vw fixed under warrenty. now 50k later came back again. I use the sytec oil change 5k use vw filter etc. Is there no fix for this problem? I had it towed to the dealership estamate to fix $1688 they changed the oil and the preasure came back. 60 mile later low oil preasure again. there is no engine noise runs just fine.
What did they replace 50,000 miles ago? and how long ago was this because vw came out with a new procedure for this about a year and a half ago??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This was 2 years ago almost to the date. the auto had 120k on it at that time so what ever vw would pay for the invoice was around $3000 for the repairs. i do know that it got a new oil pump and oil lines. I just did the timing belt waterpump tuneup etc with in the last 10k Can i call you do you have a phone # XXXXX you can call me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Dan

We are not allowed to contact customers but i will help you here how many miles does the vehicle have now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok vw extended the warranty for this issue till 130k they have came out with a new technical bulletin since you had the car serviced last . What they do now is remove the valve cover and check the cam bearings if the cam bearings look like they are scored due to lack oil pressure they will replace the engine but this is rare. What they do if theres no issue with the cam bearings is they replace the oil pump strainer ,breather hoses and do 3 engine flushes. After all this the issue is fixed. I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
after this is done should the low oil presure come back? I take this is only a bandaid not a fix. 50k after all this was done it came back last week. i had it towed the the dealership they changed the oil and said the preasure was fine. 60 miles later came back. Is there a fix or just temp fixes.
The issue was that the breather hoses where falling apart in the inside and the pieces of the breather hoses get into the oil pump strainer and will reduce the oil pressure to the head Now the new hoses are redesigned and are not supposed to cause the same issue. I have done about 10 of these issues in the last 2 years and have not seen a issue with them . I hope this helps.!

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is this breather hose? is this the fix they would have done 2 years ago
This fix was not out 2 years ago this is a within a year and a half ago . There is a lot more then just one breather hose there is a lot they are all located under the intake manifold. Haeres is a pictures of all the breather hoses we replace it all depends on your engine code.

Please don't forget to click accept for all the help i have given you on this matter this is the only way i get compensated my time and knowledge thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, What should be the tipical hrs required for this repair? Do i need to remove the oil pan to fix?
For the breather valves it takes about 4 hoses because they are hard to get too and for the oil pump its about 3 hours the sub frame will need to be lowered to get the oil pan out. Yes the oil pan will need to be removed to replace the oil pump strainer/screen.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. This is the best money I ever spent on this VW. I will keep this web and your handle for further use. Plese send back so i can accept
Your welcome we try to help customers out as best as we can .