vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

My VW Golf 1.8T AUM turns over but will not start. When you

Customer Question

My VW Golf 1.8T AUM turns over but will not start.
When you turn the key the fuel pump is not making any noise which indicates the fuel pump or relay.
But if you leave the ignition on disconnect the battery for about 10 seconds and then reconnect it the fuel pump works every time you do that which would then suggest that the fuel pump and relay are ok.
Does it have a fuel cut off switch or anything like that
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

What you will need to do is check to see if the fuel pump is getting power at the connector when it does not start . That way we know if the issue is the pump not getting power or a weak pump that is starting to go out . We have a lot of issues with fuel pumps in these vehicles.The fuel pump is located on the rear seat bottom you will need to pull up the seat bottom to locate the cover for the pump to access the connector.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i forgot to mention, the esp light keeps flicking on and the traction light is constantly on, and it keeps flashing up now service ?
Ok thanks for the info . This can change things around . The next step you will need to take is hook up the vehicle and see what faults you have stored in the ecm this will help me and you diagnose the vehicle by knowing what faults you have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but i dont have anything to code read, and just so you know, i had it running the other day for about 20 mins then that esp light flashed up and it cut out
Is it the esp light or the epc light??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it might be epc actually,
Its more then likely it is the epc light . Since this light is coming on the most common issue is a throttle body issue or even the hose that connects to the throttle body is disconnected but you will need a scan tool to see what faults you have that way you know where to look at.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and all the advice given to you today thanks!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so if i click accept now can i come back to you with the fault codes after or will i have to pay again, thanks
You will not have to pay again just post the faults here i will still help you no charge
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is the hose to the throttle body,

it just seems odd because sometimes you turn the ignition on and it will start and sometimes the pump wont run and it wont start

could it be the relay for the fuel pump or any fuses etc ???

if it is the relays where are they located ?

Are you sure you have a AUM engine code ??? Let me have your vin # XXXXX i will post the location of the items for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i will have to get it and let you know, the code is deffinatly AUM it is stamped on the top of the engine.

Thanks

I ll post the pics for you in 5 minutes because i wont be on line all day today that way you can look where these items are give me 5 min
graphic

Heres the throttle body its attached to the intake make sure the hose that attaches to the throttle body is correctly fitted.

graphic

If you look closely at the bottom row of the relay panel look at #4 that is your fuel pump relay not the big #4 but the small one on the bottom row.

Like stated before i will not be online much today beause I have to work till late but i will check back once in a while for those codes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the relays located
They are located under the steering column just remove the trim panel below the dash it is held on by 3 screws
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, i have just had another look at my car and the vin number is XXXXX

I havde taken the spark plugs out one by one and turned it over and none of them have a spark.

I have also hard wired the fuel pump from the battery and the fuel pump runs fine, taken a fuel pipe off the engine and the fuel is coming straight out as soon as you connect the pump to the battery.

I have found somebody with a obd reader so i will borrow it tomorrow hopefully and give you the fault codes.

Thanks, marc

ok just keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would you be able to tell me anything from that, no spark and no power to the fuel pump and the vin number ?
It may be a crank sensor but i will need to know the fault # XXXXX you have it i don't want to miss diagnose the car for you . I will not be on line much tomorrow because i will be working at the shop but i will check during the day if you have posted the fault thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not post till at least tomorron night as ill be at work till late anyway .

Thanks

Ok no problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, i have plugged an OBD reader into the car and it cannot connect to the vehicle, i plugged it into my focus and it connected straight away.

So cant give you the fault codes, could it be anything else eg knock sensor or any main relays ?

Do you have a aftermarket radio installed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it is the standard radio ??? why would that matter
Usually when they have after market radios the scan tools don't communicate because the radio whee wired up incorrectly. Do you know how to read a wiring diagram that will be the next step to check wiring.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sort of, could it be the knock sensor though, or a relay ?

Not the knock sensor but a relay is possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok then somebody advised me to change the crank sensor, but if its not gona be that ill leave it, which relay is it likely to be and is there a way to bypass them to remove the relay from the problem.
Am the one that told you it could be a crank sensor but I wanted you to check the faults first since you have a esp light flickering . Does the check engine light come on when you turn on the key on the dash?

Edited by vwtech0405 on 1/18/2010 at 7:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is no check engine light just the normal oil battery etc, and the digi screen says service, so it could be the crank sensor ???
It could be the sensor but I want you to check the faults first YOU stated that the epc light flickers correct???? and asnwer my question about the engine light does the light come on the dash when you turn the key in the ON position???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i turned the ignition on once or twice that light flickered on and off and you could hear a relay clicking like mad (thinking about it i think it said efc)

but if you switch the ignition on now it just comes on and nothing comes up, sorry for being such a pain lol just really getting stressed with it now.

ok we have to start with you not having power at the fuel pump. You checked power and ground at the connector under the rear seat bottom while cranking the vehicle???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes and i have wired up the fuel pump to the battery and took a hose off the engine and fuel is pouring out
ok does the enigne start when you have the fuel pump stright to battery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no because it is not sparking
so you dont have spark or fuel ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Ok there may be something wrong with the ecm maybethats why you can not communicate. When you turn the key on does the engine light come on the dash??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but then goes off
Ok just making sure it still recognizes the ecm . Am sorry but you are going to need get the vehicle scanned for fault to see what faults you have it sounds like a crank sensor but not sure without knowing the faults . When we get cars in the shop we always check the faults first that way it leads us to the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but for the price it is going to cost to get it checked should i just buy a sensor and go from there ?
Its up to you most shops only charge $60 to scan it i think the sensor is a little more .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i might buy a sensor first then, ive just got a price £40, for a bosch one
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'll buy one tomorrow hopefully and let you know from there then, thanks
no problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, i have replaced the crank sensor today, and it has not made a difference, then i left it for a bit and tried it again and it started and stayed running for sbout a minuts then just died again, any ideas.

could it be a relay for anything or not ?

It's hard to say but you need to scan the codes like stated previously the codes will help you a lot I am working today so I won't be online till later on tonight .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have to get an auto electrician around now then.

Thanks, marc

Your welcome!