vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

What is the most likely cause for code P0171 in a 2001 VW Jetta?

Customer Question

What is the most likely cause for code P0171
in a 2001 VW Jetta?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

This fault is for a system too lean bank 1 usually its a broken vacuum hose that goes from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator if that hose is not broken or damage you will most likely have a issue with a faulty mass air flow sensor . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Checked and changed the hose no fix. Installed new MAF sensor, no fix. However there are 2 part numbers for the cardone MAF sensor 174-10052 and 174-10061 depending what the OEM# XXXXX with either an A or a G. They gave me the one for the A (174-10052)and I have the G (174-10061). Don't know if this makes a difference or not as they look identical. What is the probability of it being O2 sensor or just the 174-10061 MAF sensor.
This will make a difference i cannot look up the part # XXXXX you because its 10:32pm and i am not at work right now . O2 sensor is a possibility have you checked for any intake leaks in the system there is also the tube that goes to the air box from the body sometimes there is a clogged screen there also check that.