gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

2000 Beetle: GLS..battery drain..about 120 mA with key off, put clamp

Customer Question

2000 Beetle GLS having battery drain problem. Put clamp on ammeter on positive and drawing about 120 mA with key off, put clamp on negative and discharging 1.25A. Turn key on and postive drawing about 4A with negative battery lead reading 0A. Have pulled every fuse in left hand fuse panel and the remaining fuses in fuse holder on top of the battery with no change. Checked resistance of ground to chassis resulting in 2 ohms. Thanks for any help in advance.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 years ago.

To check for a draw, you need to hook up a meter inline with the battery, or use an amp clamp. Then you need to latch the hood latch, and the driver door latch, and lock up the vehicle so that it will go to "sleep". In sleep mode, it should draw less than .002A- it may take up to 2 minutes or so for it to fully drop into sleep mode. There's so much operating when it is "awake" that it is not possible to accurately check for a draw.

Most common problems are with the radio- aftermarkets hardwired to the battery, or the factory 6 disc changer in the trunk if installed, but sometimes the stock stereo head.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Using a Fluke 123 Industrial Scope with amp clamp attachment. Measured with hood, doors, locks, with audible alarm from security. Metered red wire from positive post to fuse block on top of battery with 140mA and black wire from battery negative post with 1.6 A. Factory radio unit, but do have factory 6 disc changer in trunk. Waited 5 mins per measurement to ensure sleep mode entered.
I'd try unplugging the 6 disc changer- there is a connector tucked behind it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Positive lead reading .06A no change in negative lead.
Have you unhooked each of the large strip fuses on top of the battery one at a time? start with the lowest rated one first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure why but I had the battery disconnected for about 2 days and now with the CD changer unplugged being the only difference I am only seeing 50mA of current in the positive lead so seems to be ok now. All the current was entering fuse S176. I appreciate your help!